Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters and Swords member
11,161 Posts
Enjoyed the article, and to think at one time the zoomies at the Air Force thought about dumping the A-10, probably because it wasn't sexy enough.

·
Registered
21,075 Posts
Well, you know Wyle, the A-10 was built at the end of Vietnam as a assist vehicle to the Huey helicopter. They couldn't figure out what to do with it after that as the "New" military was going to be fully mechanized and computerized because thay just knew the next war was going to be in Europe (third time's a charm I guess). But when the Middle East blew up and the war was going to be an armored battle, they need a tank-buster. The Blackhawk wasn't designed for that roll and the F-15's and 16's were needed elsewhere. They figured the A-10 could do the job until something else came along, little did they know the Warthog was going to kick-a$$-and-take-names and literally become one of the stars of Operation: Desert Storm! Like the old saying says........when pigs fly!

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Enjoyed the article, and to think at one time the zoomies at the Air Force thought about dumping the A-10, probably because it wasn't sexy enough.
I found the following tidbit hard to believe given my past experience with the RAF, but then again, the Major is in the Royal Army

A/OA-10 Thunderbolt II: Experiences on the Ground
A/OA-10 at Bagram, AF
(click to view full)

"The Major's Email: British Harrier Support in Afghanistan, Revisited" examined the statements of a British officer who had criticized British close air support, and openly stated a preference for USAF A-10s over any aircraft the British could deploy in theater.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,341 Posts
The A-10 was developed post Vietnam as a specialized close air support and anti-tank aircraft. Actually it was to provide Air Force competition for the Army helicopter gunships, not to assist them - its closest competitor in the US inventory is the AH-64.
The Air Force had neglected this mission for the more glamorous fighter interceptors and found, in Vietnam, that its aircraft were poorly suited for the mission and also vulnerable to ground fire.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
Low tech, low problems!
Poot

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I don't think that British major was expressing a preference for US air support in general,I can't imagine that US pilots are any better trained than RAF pilots.Rather,he thinks the A-10 in particular is better for ground support than any aircraft the Brits possess.Which may very well be true,but thats not something I know anything about.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
A-10 - the groundies best-loved airplane

The A-10 was deemed such a threat to the Soviet ground forces, especially tanks, that the Soviets, when designing their then-new T-72 MBT, put the 12.7/14.5mm heavy MG on the commander's cupola facing to the rear, to defend against ther typical attack profile - up-the-arse - from the A-10.

The Soviet 2S6 and later 2S6M tracked SAM systems were designed from the very onset to take on and destroy the A-10.

What better recommendation for the effectiveness of the A-10 system could there be?

And yes, the A-10, in my opinion, was/is a matchless and irreplaceable asset in a ground war - who cares that it's as homely as a mud fence?

That huge Bronx Cheer in the distance has been the last thing heard by thousands of our enemies in the past 16 years, and long may it last.

Go A-10!!!

tac

1 - 9 of 9 Posts