Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A have a pretty rare SVT40 with a bunch of extras that is worth around 2K. A guy offered 3 M1 Garands in trade, a Danish, an Excel import and a "duffle" bring back. What is each one worth assuming they are incorrect with no matching numbers and meh shape. Should I take the trade? This is the only pic I have of the Garands at the moment, I'll have more tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Without additional info on each m1, I would say about $950 - $1000 each for the 2 non import marked ones if they are within service grade specs. For the import marked one, maybe $600-$650 depending on condition. I know a lot of the import marked garand can be in worse shape.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,089 Posts
Without additional info on each m1, I would say about $950 - $1000 each for the 2 non import marked ones ifthey are within service grade specs. For the import marked one, maybe $600-$650 depending on condition. I know a lot of the import marked garand can be in worse shape.
This.

Really need more info to say for sure

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
439 Posts
Two questions:

1) Does the guy know something you don't re: your SVT?

2) Are you aware the M1 rifles will not have 'matching numbers', but will rather have drawing numbers that may or may not be correct for the date of manufacture indicated by the serial located on the receiver heel?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
945 Posts
At the moment Garands are more commonly found than quality SVT-40's, the Excel is basically a throw in so you need to decide if the other two are worth the amount you set as a value on your SVT. As to the Garands, you will want to gauge the throat (TE) and the muzzle (ME) because if the barrels are shot out they have little shooter value.

You need to give us more detail on the Garands, and your SVT.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Excel were importers located in Gardner Ma. They brought in M1 Garand's and mostly M1 carbines before Blue Sky did. Over all quality was better then the Blue Sky rifles. But they did come in from Korea last time they were allowed into the country. The problem right now is value is going to drop on just about all M1 Garand's as CMP is reportedly bringing in about 90,000 from the Philippines and Century International is getting ready to import the ones from Korea if the Trump administration gives the OK to being the approximately 90,000 that are located there. If it were me I would hold onto the SVT40. I don't think may more if any will be coming into the country anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Word is that CMP is getting 86,000 M1 Garand's from the Philippines. They are just waiting for them to be shipped from the Philippines and expect to have them here and to start to offer them by early 2018. Century is still waiting on the OK from the State Department to release the ones in Korea for import back here if they get the repeal of the past Presidents orders and State Department interference. Darn Hilda Beast just had to stick her nose in where it didn't belong.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,427 Posts
Is the Danish return wearing a VAR barrel? If so, It'll have a lot of shooter interest. The VAR barrels have a very good reputation.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would keep the SVT. Trading one very collectible gun for three shooters of the same kind would not appeal to me. Now three different rifles might have some appeal but a triplicate of common guns for one rare one just wouldn't appeal to me personally. If the Danish model had a perfect bore and some potential as a shooter I might ask for that and make the difference up in cash.

That said I might trade my SA marked SVT40 for a trio of garands but mine is nothing special. Just a nice Finnish used rifle..

·
Registered
6,017 Posts
"Duffle Cut Garand"???????? LOL. M1 will fit nicely when disassembled in a duffle bag.

Have seen hundreds of so called WWII "bring backs", "sneaks", "stolen", etc. Maybe 2-3 were somewhat believable. Most of the time half the parts were not even made in WWII, and a couple of times the barrels were commercial.

But honestly 3 M1s with GOOD barrels are easily worth $2K.

Personally I would check the bores with the "bullet test", and ask to shoot them first.

·
Registered
391 Posts
As long as your SVT is nothing rare you are looking at a value of $1100-1400.

You could reasonably expect to sell two shooter grade Garands for that much, keep one, and buy another SVT40.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.