Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Despite the dramatic decline in the number of Finn'd Mosins showing up these days, even in NC where many were sold via Rose's, once in a while one crawls out of a closet and emerges into the sunlight after probably a couple decades in obscurity.

I've literally had dreams that mirror this experience.

We all entertain visions of "the perfect gun shop experience". You walk into a quiet shop in a small town. On the rack is mostly a lot of hunting rifles and shotguns. But there's a Mosin on the rack, a carbine, with rod. It's obviously not a refurb. It's the only milsurp in the stack, nestled between AR-15s, lever actions and Mossberg pump shotguns. You wait patiently while the shop guy finishes business with other customers. While you wait, you examine the rifle from 8 feet away, deciphering everything you can see. You notice the tag and you can just make out the price. You instinctively know you will buy it, regardless of what you discover. You eyeball the rifle further... The appearance immediately conjures up images of a Chinese T53, but it does not quite look like a T53. Then it suddenly dawns on you that there is no bayonet assembly. You think "M38" (91/59 doesn't even come up, as the legit wear on the rifle rules that out). You do the Mosin Math... M38 + Non-refurb = .... but you don't let yourself get excited. Finally, you're handed the carbine, and you examine serial numbers, trying to look as casual as possible. Bolt, floorplate, buttplate, all matching. And then you see the small [SA]...

Note the damage to the right side. I can see where a piece of shrapnel hit near the recoil lug. I can also see where some Finn used a knife to cut the splintered piece off cleanly back under the bolt handle.

Bore is excellent, too. The cleaning rod nut had sand in the threads, which I was able to remove just enough of in order to let the rod thread in. Metal under the wood is covered in sand and bits of forest debris.

Every part is Izhevsk, even the rod. I don't think it was ever disassembled since the factory, either. No import mark.

DSCN7278.JPG DSCN7291.jpg DSCN7287.JPG DSCN7285.JPG DSCN7284.JPG DSCN7283.jpg DSCN7281.JPG DSCN7280.JPG DSCN7279.JPG DSCN7292.JPG

·
Registered
365 Posts
That's a very good story and a true one right here. The sand and forest debris is also the highlight of its historical value .You KNOW it was fighting someplace . That's the fun part ...well getting the carbine surely is the best part . VERY NICE !

Sapishka

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've felt this same way many times in a shop. Awesome carbine Bones, all matching as well! I've never been quite this lucky, again congrats!

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,970 Posts
I often wish to find something neat like that one in the wild....Great story, one o these days!

Very cool carbine & congratulations!

Pahtu.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very nice rifle and great story, well described the emotions and anticipations what rush through you when founding a nice mosin which is not yours yet, but you know it will be soon because you gotta have it. I have experienced exactly in the same way couple of times :)

·
Gold Bullet Member
17,891 Posts
Bones,

What was the walk out price?

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,826 Posts
Perfect story with a perfect ending. Congratulations!

·
Gold Bullet member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a rule of never divulging what I pay, but the price was really good. To the shop it just looked like a beat up old Mosin with a sliver of wood missing. I am sure they paid next to nothing for it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I used up all my Mosin Luck for a while. You know, for at least a week or two... ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Awesome story and find Bones, most of us fantasize about gunshop finds like that. I'm sure you saved her from Bubba's rath as well. From my experience, beat up Mosins in "tacticool" gun shops like the one you describe end up in Archangel stocks.:(

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
Great find Bones, always pays to beat the bushes. :thumbsup:

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,826 Posts
Awesome story and find Bones, most of us fantasize about gunshop finds like that. I'm sure you saved her from Bubba's rath as well. From my experience, beat up Mosins in "tacticool" gun shops like the one you describe end up in Archangel stocks.:(
But, after all, he does need a stock.;)

·
Gold Bullet member
3,035 Posts
Great find and you hit those feelings on the head; been lucky enough to feel that a couple times over the years!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts