Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Faz MkII

O man u are lucky I've wanted a MkII but I have no idea where to get them, at least around here and at a reasonable price. How much did it set u back?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Have fun cleaning her.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
When these were first released in Australia I remember thinking how EXPENSIVE they were. Now I think to myself how CHEAP they were. How times change.

·
Registered
172 Posts
When these were first released in Australia I remember thinking how EXPENSIVE they were. Now I think to myself how CHEAP they were. How times change.
Years ( and I mean years ) ago I passed on a DCRA .308 for under $200.
At the time I thought why would anybody want a .308 No4...duhoh
Nice find Eckman !
Is that a matching No9 bayo as well ?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice going, Eckman, my May '55 Mk.2 had it's bayonet pilfered so unwrapping wasn't that big of a deal collector-wise. Twas pretty messy tho'! I kept all of the removed cardboard and paper in large zip lock bags.

Regards, Brad

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bayonet does match and I will unwrap it this winter

as I plan on shooting it. I thought about keeping it wrapped but I can't enjoy it that way.

The dealer who received this for me had another No4 MKII. It was a PF serial number No4 , all matching , flaking painted finish and it was South African marked. Bore was an 8+ out of 10. He also had an FTR'ed LSA SMLE that was restamped to match, funny thing was the bolt and rear sight still had the old serial numbers on them. Bore was a 7 out of 10 and the barrel was dated 1944. Stock was not so good.

A few posts up an unwrapped Faz went for over 800 , kind of makes you think " What would an unwrapped one go for ? " But I'm keeping mine !

·
Registered
380 Posts
To my understanding, Only the rifles that got issued actually had numbered bayonets. The rifles in the wrap are un-issued and shouldn't have a matching bayonet... Just a new one in the wrap un-numbered. This is the way mine came.

David

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,881 Posts
No, not so

I've seen at least three mummy wrapped PF55's with matching bayonets. JMHO, but unwrapping and shooting one of these is over the top. There are lots of No4 MkII shooters out there, for a lot less than these wrapped ones are. But if you must, you make all the others more valuable, sooner! Enjoy!

·
Registered
274 Posts
My bayonet isn't numbered, but is in new condition like the rifle. It is dated '54. I'm sure some of the numbered and un-numbered variety both probably exist with the rifles.

It might be like some of the earlier rifles that had their magazines numbered while in service?

·
Registered
537 Posts
I was in Billings, Montana about 10 or 11 years ago and a gun shop had a pair of absolutely new No4, MkII's dated 51 and 54. They were $99 each if I bought the pair. I still have them in the back of my gun room someplace. They shot really well with my 215 grain cast bullet target load. ~Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts