Gunboards Forums banner

A funny thing happened at the range today

3K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  Ordtech 
#1 · (Edited)
So , Im at the range this afternoon with my new to me Husky sporter 98 in 9.3x57 that finally seemed to arrive seeing as I ordered it from camp last month in Alberta and asked Anthony at Tradex to ship it on the 20th before he left moose hunting. Ive got a bunch cast lead stuff in different flavours loaded up and after setting up the chrony, entering the header in my notebook and the conditons at the time finally the time has come to give her heck. I take careful aim at the 25 yard target take up the slack in the trigger let out half a breath and squeeze. Bang goes the rifle just like it should , everything seems good , pick up the bino's and gleefully note the nice round hole within 3/8" of the center of the bull. Looking good so far Im thinking to myself as I pull back the bolt handle and lift up the fired case checking the primer and case head area for expansion when something catches my eye and I discover that its not a 9.3x57 at all, hell no why with the tiny stub of a neck left on the case and the hugely blown out shoulder this puppy's a 62!!
Well now that I look back to this morning when I was cleaning the packing grease out of some of the recess' of this puppy I did note that someone sometime had really spent some time working the feed rails and the feed ramp , the bolt slides slickly and the timing seemed to be perfect with the loaded 57 case. Now Im wondering if it was oringinally a 62 or some gunsmith in Sweden ran a chambering reamer and didnt mark it. Last time I did something like this I managed to touch off a 270 win in a 300 win mag and ended up rupturing the case. The barrel is marked with the standard Huskvarna waffenfabriks Kal 9.3mm thats on my other rifles in x57 . Its got a shnabel forend on the stock , no markings (crest) on the reciever and the underside of the bolt knob is flat with checkering. The floorplate has locking screws like a military rifle and the serial # is 2371* . Any help would be great guys
Dave
Just some food for thought

See less See more
#27 ·
Andy,
Yes sir! 35 caliber rifle bullets should work. Better data available, just use starting data of the same weight cast lead bullet for starter loads of suitable rifle powders and work up. Some of those are posted herein somewhere.
We were talking pistol bullets out of frugality and for plinking, small game (grouse) loads, reusing old cases and such.
D

#28 ·
Thanks! I figured as much. I'm thinking of firing up the lathe and boring an adjustable base-pour mould like Lyman/Ideal used to make. Shouldn't be too hard. I checked my molds and the heaviest 35 grain bullet I had is 220 grains. Should work as to diameter but I've read, read mind you, that paper patch bullets should be snugged into the rifling for them to work. Any thoughts?~Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.