Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Thanks again for the tip on the universal expander Andy!
I tried it out and it will give a gentle taper just big enough to let the patched bullet start. Not the flair fitting I was getting.
D

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Paper patching came up in threads that Leespeed was discussing his pistol case bullets. Someone brought it up and I decided to try.
Paper is the hard factor. Local paper was all too thick so I finally ordered 4lb paper from Buffalo. When wet and rolled on a .359" - .360" bullet to make two layers, it comes out around .368". I'm also using rice water, just water you wash real rice in. Books mention starch water, flour water.
An M die and needle nose pliers were undesirable for a flare to load without ripping the paper. Andy suggested the Lee Universal Expander die and it worked out just right.;)
I've loaded some 158 grain semi wadcutters (not good for loading from the magazine, but the idea is to be frugal) over different amounts of Trail Boss. I'm in a hotel right now and the ranges close for muzzleloader season next week. So, the first week of November I should be able chrono and test the loads.
I'm looking at 8 to 13 grains of pistol powders, Trail Boss, Unique, maybe Clays. I've got Blue Dot, 700X and Bullseye if this looks promising. Regular lead bullet loads of rifle powders should work just as well.
Now, no more hijacking, we need a new thread.:D
Dennis

· Registered
2,080 Posts
Andy,
Yes sir! 35 caliber rifle bullets should work. Better data available, just use starting data of the same weight cast lead bullet for starter loads of suitable rifle powders and work up. Some of those are posted herein somewhere.
We were talking pistol bullets out of frugality and for plinking, small game (grouse) loads, reusing old cases and such.
D

· Registered
537 Posts
Thanks! I figured as much. I'm thinking of firing up the lathe and boring an adjustable base-pour mould like Lyman/Ideal used to make. Shouldn't be too hard. I checked my molds and the heaviest 35 grain bullet I had is 220 grains. Should work as to diameter but I've read, read mind you, that paper patch bullets should be snugged into the rifling for them to work. Any thoughts?~Andy

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.