Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
537 Posts
I had a similar experience with a 1903 Springfield target rifle except I found that someone had made it into a 30-06 Improved. All my brass got the shoulders blown out! Good luck with the "new" rifle!~Andy

· Registered
537 Posts
Dennis: If you haven't tried the Lee Universal Neck Expanding die, give it a try. I quit using M-dies and the RCBS offering as soon as I got it. You can control the amount of expansion you want. It's great.~Andy

· Registered
537 Posts
Dave, If they are NEI I know them exactly, thanks. How is your accuracy? I heat treat my cast bullets for big game hunting so that they will take up to a 40+K pressure before going "plastic" on me. Even in smaller bores like 308 they will kill quite well.~Andy

· Registered
537 Posts
Dave: It's simple:

Take the sized, gaschecked but UN LUBED bullets and stand them on a cookie sheet. Bake at 460 F degrees for 1 hour and quench abruptly in room temp water. Let them dry over night on a paper towel. Send them back to your buddy to be lubed.

If the bullets are cast of wheel weight material with a little antimony in them you'll have a glass hard bullet.(approx 31 Brinnell hardness) Harder than type metal.

If you have your groove diameter established, the are two things to watch out for in cast bullet shooting. The first is copper fouling. If there is any present in the bore it will destroy cast bullet accuracy and induce leading. The other thing is pressure. It is pressure that causes the bullet to "go plastic" and lead, not velocity. Choose a powder that will give you the lowest pressure and highest velocity. Look to the slower burning powders. Heat treated bullets will easily take 40K.

Also, avoid seating the bullet below the base of the neck. Additionally, get a good case belling die like the inexpensive and ultra versatile Lee Die I mentioned in the above post. Without it, you're peeing into the wind with respect towards accuracy.

You mentioned that the bullets being .366 "didn't help". What is the groove diameter of your 9.3? If it's larger, then you should seek larger bullets. If smaller? Don't worry about it.

I love cast bullet shooting and have taken all manners of game with them, with a wide variety of calibers, at speeds from 500 ft/sec to 2800 ft./sec. I will be ordering the NEI mold in 2 cavity once I get my rifle and slug the bore.

If I can be of any more help, let me know. I'm psyched on this 9.3 project.

Regards, ~Andy

· Registered
537 Posts
Thanks! I figured as much. I'm thinking of firing up the lathe and boring an adjustable base-pour mould like Lyman/Ideal used to make. Shouldn't be too hard. I checked my molds and the heaviest 35 grain bullet I had is 220 grains. Should work as to diameter but I've read, read mind you, that paper patch bullets should be snugged into the rifling for them to work. Any thoughts?~Andy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.