Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all, a buddy of mine can't post here from his phone for some reason or another so told him I would post for him. I'm not going to give my opinions of the rifle, I would rather leave it up to the group. He's wondering about the authenticity of the sniper rifle and any help for him would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
I asked him and he confirmed that the import says MM Huntington Beach CA.
Yeah, that's what I thought. :( Pending more pics, I think it's a legit PU (some Michells are). The downer is that it may adversely affect resale value, as Mitchell has acquired a nasty reputation for humping Mausers. Plus most of the PUs they sell are repros and they don't differentiate between those and real ones like this rifle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Ol' Relic. He got it for 380.00 so either way, he's either got a nice PU sniper or a nice shooter....what other pics would you like and will have him send them to me

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Thanks for the info Ol' Relic. He got it for 380.00 so either way, he's either got a nice PU sniper or a nice shooter....what other pics would you like and will have him send them to me
Well, if he got it for that price, I'll toast him with a tall draft Stella when I get to the restaurant the wife is driving us to as I type this. :laugh:

Detail pics of the bolt handle, scope base and both sides of the mount would be useful.

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Looks completely legit to me, that's a wartime Izhevsk mount. He made out like a bandit on that deal-with the bore condition being what you said, I'd have bought that one if I'd run into it locally at, probably, up to $600 or so.

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
That is a heck of a price. No way to go wrong at that. The bolt is unusally high polish. Not impossible but makes one wonder if MM did not have to polish and make it more pretty??
The weapon is a heck of a deal , the owner should go shoot it and enjoy the rifle. It being REAL will speak for itself . All the Mitchells Mauser origin will do in a gun trade is make the savvy buyer look closely to be sure its a real and not a repro...but he will be very careful in that inspection. You can't make a repro for the price paid

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
This thread has me wondering if my PU is a real , (original refurb).

I traded a MAS49/58 for it ( I bought it years ago, when they were cheap).
You kind folks mind telling me certain traits to look for to determine if it is "as issued" or otherwise.

Thank you,
Wendell

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.