Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a call this afternoon from an acquaintance who wanted to know if I was interested in his MAS 49/56 in 7.5mm. He acquired it a couple years ago from someone who owed him money and I cleaned it up for him. When I first saw it, the barrel was completely full of thick fuzzy rust. After some scrubbing, it cleaned up better than expected, with just minor pitting that doesn't seem to affect function or accuracy. I'm guessing that it was like new and someone shot corrosive in it and stuck it in the closet.

Otherwise it looks great, excellent condition. He has three magazines and 100 rounds, handloads using Grafs brass. He wanted to know what a fair price was for it; he's not into C&R stuff and needs money.

I really can't afford it right now, but would buy it if the price is right. On the other hand, I don't want to completely rip him off. He mentioned at one time that it cost him less than $150. I know they are a lot higher than that, but wasn't sure how much the barrel damage affects value.

I know he could likely get a good price if he sold it on Gunbroker, but he's more likely to take it in to the local gun shop and sell it cheap if I don't buy it.

Thanks for any info.

·
Administrator
19,249 Posts
I would think in "good" condition that 200.00 to 250.00 would be max.

·
Silver Bullet member
62 Posts
With the rifle in excellent condition and minor barrel pitting ( for me it would have to be very minor ) $200 sounds pretty good. You are also getting $20 to $30 dollars worth of ammo and brass.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I agree with everyone else, offer him two hundred. And buy it! By all means buy it! They're GREAT rifles! I love mine even more than my FAL or SVT-40.

·
Copper Bullet member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info, and thanks Vic for your response. I actually forgot about this thread.
After reading that first response, then talking to my wife:( I told him I would like to buy it but just couldn't spend the money right now. He asked me about price and I told him $200 would be the most it would be worth to me, but he might be able to get a little more elsewhere. It really is in nice shape, and I have seen far worse pitting that still shot fine(though it is quite noticeable- it was rusted up BAD)

He said that sounded fair to him and he wasn't going to try to sell it otherwise any time soon, and to let him know if I still was interested when I had the money.

In reality, I've bought too much gun stuff this year. About a year ago I had a couple months off work recovering from surgery and radiation therapy, so I got on Ebay and sold many years accumulation of odds and ends (I'm a packrat) to the tune of thousands of dollars. My wife was very understanding through that time and I ended up buying a couple Garands, a couple more Mosin-Nagants, five C&R handguns, several others, ammo, etc.. Her sympathy and patience has stretched thin. Actually when I look back and count it up, I feel I may have taken advantage a little. I justified the second M1 as being for our son (he's 1), and she still didn't complain, even though she wants new(er) furniture. Yeah, I probably better slow down a bit.

I have an NVA SKS I plan on selling on gunbroker, maybe she won't mind me spending some of that money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts