Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,247 Posts
I think the post-64 Model 94s have a malleable cast iron receiver, not one formed from sheet (even heavy sheet). Been told that, anyhow. The alloy doesn't take hot salt tank blueing well, leading to the thin iron plate for the final finish, which isn't very durable. Unless things have changed. Mechanically, the post-64 Model 94s I've handled seem to work well and hold up satisfactorily.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,247 Posts
Well, I don't think it's "pot metal" anyway. It irks me when guys trash the '94 and the .30-30 cartridge. My favorite one was the know-it-all at work who commented: "and you know, you really shouldn't use a .30-30 for hunting deer."
Well, a lot of folks ignore that every year (and have for almost 120 years so far) and I imagine that there have been more deer killed with the 30-30 than any other extant cartridge. Wonder what that fella thinks a deer hunter neeeds to be using? Heck - i know a poacher who regularly kills deer using a .22LR. One shot and dead whitetail. Has a suppressed .22 bolt gun fitted with a night sight and a couple of blinds near feeders, and one of these days he's gonna get caught and be in a heap of trouble, but in the meantime.... Anyhow, if a 22LR will do the work, a 30-30 will do it a lot better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.