Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Enfields that I am going to sell, and I want to be certain that I get the description correct. Any help or htoughts on this rifle, positive or negative would be deeply appreciated. If it has problems I will link the listing to this thread.

I believe it has been through an FTR after the war, since it is sitting in a fairly blonde stock. Would this have been done in the 1950s? Also, the action and bolt head are a really pretty plum color that I don't have on any of my other No.4s or Mk1 No. 3s. is this common? Lastly the bolt is mismatched to the rifle, but it seems to match the color, particularly the bolt head. When they went through an FTR was there any attention paid to reinstalling the same bolt that they came in with, or was this mismatched at a different time?

The rifle has what I would consider to be very weak rifling, but it is still quite accurate.

Thanks for answering what I am certain are extremely basic questions. I really like this rifle, but don't want my affection for it to color my description and mislead anyone. Below are some photos of it. I hope they are good enough for you to see what I am talking about on the color.

Best wishes,
Doby

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,642 Posts
Give it the most honest description you can, forget about speculating when it was done, or if the color/s are common or not, and put a bunch of pictures out there. That's the best thing you can do, IMHO. Let the prospective buyer decide if it's good enough for his collection.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
During FTR the bolt would have been kept with the rifle - I seem to remember Peter Laider saying they were 'wired together'.

There are only two important parts that need to match - the bolt and the action. If for any reason the bolt was 'lost' or unable to be refurbished then a new bolt would have been installed but it would have been numbered to the rifle.

If your bolt is a 'mismatch' then the original bolt has been lost or replaced during its civilian life post 'sold out of service'

Apart from that - it looks a very nice rifle.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The serial number on the bolt doesn't look like it was stamped. Almost like electropencil. I will do as you suggested, and then just let the buyer send it back if they don't like it. What about the color though? Is that common to have the two main parts be a plum color? The bolt and the receiver are both perfectly matched for coler - but it's plum!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
"What about the color though? Is that common to have the two main parts be a plum color?"

Only if they have been reblued in a modern dip tank.
The missing rivets in the metal end of the front handguard are another tell for civilian rebluing. It is beyond most amateurs to reinstall the hollow brass rivets that should be there.
-----krinko

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you krnko once again. that is exactly what I needed to know to price it and to describe it properly. I think I am going to lose quite a bit on this one, lol.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I also have a 1943 Long Branch FTR'd in 1948 and imported into the US (probably) pre-1968. Mine had been converted into a deer-getter requiring modest restoration. The receiver is both stamped and electropencil-marked and the bolt and magazine are electropencilled, only. There have been several similar postings over the years.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you, Masterchief. In this case, I saw the FTR and bought it from a local friend who at the time I thought was an expert on these. basically he must have made a mistake, leading to mine. I bought the story he told me based on a couple of blued Mosins I have that are basically the same color. that plum color always niggled at me, and that is why I was emphasizing it so much in my questions. it's tough to buy on the internet when photos can be strategically done to hide things like this. those rivets seal the deal as to what it is. I still like it but I would have sold it as an FTR that was just still in super condition for these parts. Now I know to price it accordingly. I can give a friend the benefit of the doubt, but here I have learned to be much more careful now.

I appreciate the help, gentlemen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts