Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good afternoon all........

I just picked up an extremely nice T-38 from the local buy/sell board, and had a question or two I hope you could help me with.....

Gun is a Koshikawa......every last part matching.....down to the dust cover (all matches off of the assy. number on the bottom of the receiver). Blue is easily 85-90%. Bore is perfect and shiny....and all polished parts look really nice. Mum is ground, but I don't really care......

The finish on the wood bothers me though......dark and very reddish.....like a varnish.....thick with runs and evidence of a lighter finish in certian areas....I thought I'd ask the experts before I considered some gentle removal techniques.

The markings underneath the barrel are interesting......does anyone have any idea what exactly they mean?

Thanks for your help......some pics....

·
Silver Bullet member
15,654 Posts
The finish is not original; but it is hard to say what you will find under it. I believe it will look better with the thick red gunk off.

Markings under the barrel were originally applied in assembly and probably refer to steps of assembly or testing. A good resource for T 38s, in fact the best, is "The Type 38 Arisaka", a 400 page book you can still buy from the author.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.....I started removing the "gunk".....and the wood underneath is (apart from a few dings) damn near perfect. I believe it will come out really nicely.

After putting about 30 rounds of NORMA 6.5 thru it this morning, I have to say how impressed with the accuracy, smoothness of operation, and light recoil I am.....what a fun gun

1 - 3 of 3 Posts