Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I'm boring some folks but I'm just having a great time trying out these rifles.

This one is a straight 5th series, Nagoya, Mum'd and all matching except the bolt which matches itself however the dust cover matches the rifles serial number. Figure that.

Anyway, again 50yrs sitting at the bench with the forearm just resting on a binocular case. Don't know what I would do if I ever leave my binoculars at home. First 5 shots were low with the rear sight down. I raised the ladder sight up to the lowest range and it shot the higher 5 shot group.

The weather was in the low 50's, windy and overcast and I had a hard time focusing on that small 1" red bull at that distance. The wind kept blurring the eyes. The other day the sun was out with no wind and the red dot was easier to see. I'm sure the rifle could do better then I could.

I raised my reloads from 37grs to 38 grs of 3031 this time. Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
nice shooting

I think he said 50 yds, sitting.

Ray, please quit complaining about the 1" bull, get some crayons and color it bigger, or buy some of those 3" stick on bulls.

All joking aside nice shooting. I glad the 5th was 'straight' or else you may have hit the next target over.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ray, Nice grouping, elevation adjustment worked fine.When you consider it`s only a 1" bull
think how nice it would look if those same shots were on a 3" target as 03 man suggested.
Still, it`s damn good shooting considering your using your elbow for support.

Charlie

·
Registered
46 Posts
i wish i can shoot that good of group at 50yrds with my 99 or 38...
I got stigmetism on my right eye. I can't see front sight to save my life.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellows. Not the best shooting but I think it demonstrates that these Japanese rifles are pretty straight shooters.

I shot a different rifle each week for three weeks and they all averaged about a two inch grouping at the 50 yrds.

Charlie the one time when I shot the T-38, the bull was a three incher. It was one that some other shooter had put up and left and it had no holes in it and of course I couldn't waste it. Lol. It just look more impressive.

The target with the one inch bulls are hand made, (copy machine) by my buddy and are free also, another Lol.

I'm trying to suggest to him that he should make the bulls bigger but you know, beggers can't be choosy.

Here's the three targets again in order. the T-38, last weeks T-99, both were 8 shot groups, and todays, Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Targets

Ray,
I've heard you can buy targets!

Just buy one and then copy it(before you shoot the holes into it).

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
The 100yd sighting in targets work best for me. I find that 50 is too close for most shooting,except for grouping a new gun before I go to the longer range..Nice groups Ray, especially with a 1" bull...homade plinking targets I make on my computer in the office at work,mights well use their ink and paper...Does your range let you use silouette targets and such,most of mine "prefer" only PC targets which messes with my pistol practice.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ray, Just so that you know where i`m coming from,and not to take away from your post,
here is a picture of my favorite shooter taken in 2005.Sue is shooting one of my type 99`s
at the 200 yd range here in Vernon,NJ. If you notice,the Arisaka is dropped into a Boyd`s
stock. Two reasons,proper reach to triggerguard (18"), and rubber recoil pad.After 70 or 80
rounds she still will get a black and blue shoulder,but not half as bad. The scope is a 2x Nikkon.
Charlie

·
Registered
724 Posts
Do not talk your shooting down too much, at least you are out shooting [ and giving honest results ] . Like the others said, a standard 100 yard rifle target will help . Now you are ready for some 100 yard 5-shot groups. mag

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don, I think I did hear somewhere that you could buy targets, but why buy when they're free, Lol

davef, yes we can use any paper targets on my range. I agree 50yrs is not very far but even that distance is not easy for me with open sights and old eyes.

Charlie, I can't even see the target at 200 yds. My congratulations to Sue for shooting that far. My range does have a 100 and a 200 yrd line and I do shoot it once in a while with some of my scoped sniper rifles. I will probably give the 100 yrd line a turn next with the Japanese rifles just to see however if you don't see any more target posts from me in the furture, you'll know I didn't do so good. Only want to post the good ones you know, Ray

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I wasnt being critical, any shooting is good shooting, I just find the 100yds easier than the 50., I have some cool printer friendly targets somewhere on my computer,just not sure where, My favorite is a varmint target where the bullseye is right up his tailpipe. works nice at 50 yds with open sights.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
davef I certainly didn't take your suggestions a being critical.

Mag, what size are the 100 yrd bulls?

I just loaded up some more ammo, this time I'm trying 39 grs of I-4895 powder. Still a real light load but a lot more enjoyable on the shoulder to shoot.

One day, just for the heck of it, I will try a full load just to see if it is as accurate as the loads I am firing are not giving a true measure of the accuracy of the rifles as they are not the standard issue loads.

Per Don, When I try firing at the 100 yrd line, I will set up three targets, one in the center and one on each side just in case the rifle is not "straight" Lol, Ray

·
Silver Bullet member
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I went to the range and tried another one of my rifles at the 200 yrd line. Fired off hand, standing on one leg.

LOL, just kidding!!!

Can you believe this 200 yrd group apparently fired by a NZ shooter who came in came 5th or so at some competition in Austria few months ago. Can you believe "5th" with that group!!

Just had to show this it. it's amazing, talk about good groups, Ray

1 - 15 of 15 Posts