Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if you gentlemen can help me with a marking that has me a bit puzzled.

I have been watching for a nice condition M95 long rifle for years to add to my collection. I have an all matching one with an OK barrel and no finish that I use as a shooter, but I alway wanted a real nice one too.

I found a refurbished one in unissued condition (still packed in cosmoline!) at a gunshow that really spoke to me, so now it is mine. It is actually the first one I have seen with the Bulgarian crest, which would have clinched it for me anyways. But in addition to the crest, above it there is some text stamped on the receiver ring:

Metal

I have not seen any other rifles referenced out there on the interweb with this mark. Does anyone have idea as to it's meaning?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

CI

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sadly the pictures aren't working for me in that thread, but by it's text you nailed it exactly GreenMan, thanks!

After reading that I had to clean the cosmo out of the bore so I could see what it was like. Sure enough, it was a little rough and the crown was significantly more worn than my shooter rifle, even though they had clearly machined the crown after refinishing the rifle. Just like the rifle in the thread my rifle has no import marks.

Makes me wonder if these were the first ones the Bulgarians got rid of because of the bore condition. I guess maybe they put my rifle in the "training only" pile before reworking it and put it in storage immediatly after. And there it sat until it got shipped to America.

Thanks guys, I knew that you would have the answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts