Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A fellow locally wants to sell me a few Mausers he inherited from his wife's grandfather. One of them in particular caught my attention as i have a nagging suspicion that it is a sniper. Im asking for opinions on this board on its legitimicy

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...25429515295_1843878185_1661949_41503186_n.jpg

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos...432915380_1843878185_1661951_1709107407_n.jpg

http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa463/swableader/mausersnipersidehole.jpg
Thanks for your time and opinions!

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Is it me or is the bolt handle ground to make clearance for a scope?

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
hard to say for sure from the pictures but if you decide not to keep it keep me in mind, i have everything to to restore it.

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
there is also a chance that this rifle was made with the thick sidewall and never routed to sniper production but routed to regular 98 production, meaning its not a sniper. But with the sniper safety its possible that it was a sniper. Like others have said....need better pics of the holes for the base on the left hand side. does the 2 digit number on the sniper key match the last 2 on the bolt? Does the bolt match the action?

·
Gold Bullet member
14,242 Posts
there is also a chance that this rifle was made with the thick sidewall and never routed to sniper production but routed to regular 98 production, meaning its not a sniper. But with the sniper safety its possible that it was a sniper. Like others have said....need better pics of the holes for the base on the left hand side. does the 2 digit number on the sniper key match the last 2 on the bolt? Does the bolt match the action?
I agree, That could be a thick wall receiver rifle that was never used as a sniper with only 3 holes drilled through. Some of these non-snipers did have the key sniper type safety IIRC. If only 3 holes, you have an answer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unfortuantely i have not received anymore pictures as of today. From image enhancements i can only see 3 holes in the receiver, the question is then, are those still more desirable than a regular stock cut K98k?

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
gun-

if there are indeed only 3 holes, this rifle was never routed to sniper production. im not sure if anyone knows why, i know i dont, but they were made with the thick wall receivers with three holes in them (part of production) with the intention of becoming long siderail snipers, but for some reason were only made into regular 98s. During the sniper conversion process, two more holes were drilled for retaining pins that would go through the base and receiver.

are they still desireable with only the 3 holes? yes. its an interesting variation. is it a sniper? no. they have become more rare because sometimes unscrupulous collectors would drill the holes and add pins themselves and pass them for a legit LSR.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
As the others have said, its very difficult to make a call on this, as the pics leave a lot to be desired. It looks to be a thick wall receiver, which were only produced for Gustloff to become snipers. Again, as others have said, there were quite a few that only had the three holes drilled, then were completed as regular 98k's.

Is it a desireable variant, heck yeah! But assuming it is what it appears to be, its got issues...the stock is trashed, so you will need to obtain at least a stock and bands...a little more work to obtain a proper stock and bands for the gun. If the bolt handle is ground, you will also probably end up replacing that, unless it is the matching bolt. But being ground will hurt value.

To restore it right won't be cheap....considering the condition at this point, if it surfaced around here (this area does not realize anywhere near prices that you see on GB typically) I would offer $500-$700 probably. Some guys might think that is low, but it is a project gun, and is technically not a sniper....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.