Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have been using three Walther P22's in the NRA Basic Class, these little pistols get a workout and have been excellent training pistols for new shooters so I was glad when one of the local shops called and said they had a PK380 for us - the PK380 is slightly larger than the P22 but close to the same dimensions. The P22 provided an easy to shoot, low maintenance pistol that you can add a laser (albeit one with a somewhat weak beam) cheaply that fit well for students with little or no experience wanting a semi-auto. The slide is easy to pull back on the P22, and that is important for some older folks or those lacking strength in the hands and wrists.

The PK380's slide is easy to operate, almost as easy as the P22. The PK380, unlike the P22, does not come with extra front sights of varying heights or interchangeable backstraps. The PK380 retains the 3 dot sights, the rear is adjustable for windage. The magazines hold eight rounds, the safety does not act as a decocker but blocks the hammer from hitting the firing pin when engaged. There is no maghazine disconnect, at least on mine, and the gun does have an internal safe storage device/lock. The DA pull stacks as the hammer comes back, I did not weigh it but guess its 15 pounds or more, the SA pull breaks clean at no more than 5 pounds. There is no slide lock/release on the PK380.

This is a locked breech pistol, the owners manual would seem to indicate +P is alright but indicates increased wear may result requiring "more freguent service"; +P+ is not recommended (do they make +P+ .380?).

The students who fired the gun liked it and so do I. Recoil is very manageable and the pistol feels good in my hand and points well. You can get 9mm's the same size and weigth but I see the market for this gun as those who want a lighter recoiling, easy to shoot gun.

We ran a box of Blazer (alum), Remington-UMC (FMJ), Sellier & Beloit (FMJ), Independance (FMJ), Santa-Barbara (FP) (25rds) and 10 rounds of Speer Gold Dot without any failures or malfunctions. Velocities are listed below (I lost my notes on the Indepandance and Blazer velocities), the pistol held the best groups with the Remington 95gr ball ammo, holding 3-4 inch groups at 10 yards. All firing was done off-hand.

Speer GDHP:
857, 885, 884, 933, 899

Rem -UMC:
861, 847, 868, 848, 832

S&B:
894, 871, 850, 865, 873

Santa Barbara:
935, 889, 954, 948, 914

·
Registered
710 Posts
An interesting pistol, didn’t realize Walther made the PK380, I have a P99 (9mm) which looks somewhat similar. I assume the takedown is also similar and easy. There is no mag disconnect on the P99 either, thanks for that, just makes a pistol useless if the mag is lost or damaged. I note it has a hammer which gives the option of pulling back for SA if the DA is too much, and also makes it a lighter pull for racking the slide.

“The DA pull stacks as the hammer comes back…” The DA pull on the P99 is pure sandpaper, a lot of repeated oil lubes and working of the trigger (with snap cap in place) finally solved that. I was going to tear it down and give it a trigger job, but didn’t want to chance voiding the warranty in case I screwed up, plastic parts you know…the plastic makes it feel like a toy pistol and it took some getting used to (for me).

I’m impressed with the variety of 380 ammunition you managed to procure.

Thank you for an informative review of an auto pistol that sounds like a winner, and a viable choice for seniors and others who need something more manageable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.