Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj71/harrymcevoy/Hunting pics/Roebucknewland.jpg

Coming home from work after a night shift last week and I happened to see a roe deer in a patch of woodland at the side of the road. It's not the first time I've seen deer in there so I pulled over at the next house and asked the owner if he knew who the wood belonged to. He said that he did, and gave me directions to the farm. So, I gathered up as much confidence as I could muster and went round there and knocked on the farmer's door. I was very nervous, I mean, how often is it you ask a perfect stranger to grant you the favour of being allowed to wander round his private property with a high powered rifle? Anyway, he was understandably wary at first, but warmed to the idea and told me to ring back in a couple of days so that he could clear it with the game keeper, but he said he couldn't see a problem with it as long as the 'keeper hadn't already got the matter under control. I rang back 2 days later and he gave me the 'keeper's number so I could ring him and arrange a meeting for him to show me the boundaries of the land and point out any places he'd rather I steered clear of.
We drove round for about an hour and a half before he said "well, that's the estate, crack on". So I asked him if he had any objection to me going out straight away. He hadn't, so I did. I picked a likely looking area and started to stalk through. Almost straight away I put up a roe doe out of her bed and she beat a hasty retreat.
A short while later I'd just stalked through a wood and was about to go through an area of newer trees so I stopped and had a skan with the binos. About 50 yards into the plantation I saw a roe buck moving slowly through. He looked to be an old boy, carrying his head low and sporting what looked like a six point head that was past it's best. I put the rifle over my sticks and followed the buck through the scope. As he came to a gap in the trees I squeeked through pursed lips and he stopped; as he did, I squeezed off the shot and he dropped in his tracks.
The 'keeper had only left me 40 minutes earlier and now I was on the phone telling him I'd dropped the first deer on the land. He certainly seemed to find it amusing, saying "bloody hell, you don't waste no time, do you boy?" (I'm 44, but everybody's "boy" in Norfolk)
Anyway, the deer fetched £36 at the game dealer's and I reckon if I can repeat that performance a few times it should lead to this becoming a long term arrangement. I certainly hope so as it's getting increasingly difficult to secure stalking (huntin' to you colonials) permission in the UK without shelling out some serious money for the privelidge.
The link above shows the trophy. Certainly not anything special, and ordinarily I'd just have burried it; but seeing as it's the first buck off this land I figure he deserves to be remembered. I just need to get him bleached now and mounted on a plaque.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'll see if I can get that sorted Mein Herr.

There you go, I've switched it to Photobucket so that should make it visible.

·
Premium Member
4,505 Posts
Great catch!
They look like they just came outta velvet. That dont happen here till September.

If I could sell wild game to a dealer or market, I'd be filthy stinking God Awfull rich.........

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great catch!
They look like they just came outta velvet. That dont happen here till September.

If I could sell wild game to a dealer or market, I'd be filthy stinking God Awfull rich.........
Yes, there was still a bit of velvet left on one antler but it's hardened and firmly stuck. I reckon he was such an old buck that his thrashing wasn't vigorous enough to get rid of all of it.
I just put him up on my wall this afternoon and compared him to the other roe heads I've got up there. He's got the thickest pedicles and coronets out of all of them, so it looks like he's the oldest roe I've ever shot. His teeth said as much anyway, but was interesting to see the other differences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts