Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I knew my "Grandpap" had carried a revolver for most of his life. My late father remembered it being a Colt but little else.

Anyway, another relative found a photo of him--could this narrow down the model any?

Photograph Family

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
From such a small picture it's impossible to positively ID it, but if it's a Colt, from the size, I'd say it's a Colt Army Special/Official Police with a 5 inch barrel, OR an even earlier Colt New Army & Navy model.

The first double action, swing out cylinder revolver ever made was the Colt New Army & Navy Models.
These were a medium frame revolver, made from 1889 to 1903.

In 1908, Colt introduced the perfected version as the Colt Army Special.
Since the army didn't buy it but the police sure did, in 1927 Colt renamed it as the Official Police and made it until 1969.

In any case, the revolver in the picture appears to have a 5 inch barrel and to be a medium framed double action.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are my only other clues.

My father recalled the word "Police" and "Special" on the gun, thenagain, he had dementia at the time. My uncle confirmed that my Police Positive was too small.

It was obtained before October 1925, when my father was born, per a legend surrounding his his harelip surgery as in infant.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
That may be what was commonly called a Military & Police Smith and Wesson - a K frame in .38 Special. I do not think the revovlers were marked as such but it was marked on the box as a Military & Police model. .38 special would have been marked on the barrel. I am quite sure it is not a Colt.

·
Silver Bullet member
31,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My first thought was that it looks like a S&W also.
Wow, that would upend some family history!

A K-Frame S&W would be a lot easier for me to find too.

I'm begging to get a better scan of that image

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah I don't see a shroud. I see the type of lug that holds the spring detent under the barrel of the S&W M&P. There are some markers you might use to verify. Carefully compare position of grip screws and position of that lug. Dad carried a S&W M&P in the standard .38 Spl, so I've got a pretty deep impression of how they look -- and that looks like one. Everything from the barrel taper to butt seems right. But a detailed photo comparison will be your next best move, I think. Good luck!

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,590 Posts
Need a better picture (larger, clearer) - BUT I agree with the guys who say "S&W". From what I can see looks like a 38 Hand Ejector - Military & Police, what later became the K-frame. That lug under the barrel (for a locking catch and protection of the end of the cylinder pin) is pretty diagnostic for an S&W instead of a Colt, and also dates it as a Second Model of 1902 or later. Couldnt prove, from that picture, that it wasn't a Spanish copy, though.

I will say that it looks like it might be nickled.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.