Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I came to the realization that shooting had become a little mundane for me. My passion for military history led me into collecting/shooting milsurps and the experience of sending rounds down range has always been heavily influenced by my perceived connection to the history of a particular firearm. Shouldering a 1915 Tula M91 that was captured by the Austrians, for example, is an experience that far surpasses simply shooting a rifle. What I've found, however, is that my normal, bright red circular target sitting downrange in front of the front sight detracts from the experience.

So, I set about creating a more "interesting" target for my milsurp shooting experience. On Friday, I finally had a chance to test out the initial target that I had designed. As you can see, it is a representation of a WWII German soldier. It is 23x35" in size and is pretty close to human proportions.

The idea is to have multiple targets representing WWI,WWII,VN, the Cold War era and present day conflicts including the 1990's war in Yugoslavia. I'm thinking the next target, will be a Soviet soldier attacking in winter gear.

At this stage, I'm trying to understand if these targets have a market. I know there are a lot of different humanoid targets on the market, I've even seen 2 different zombie targets, but I have yet to see targets representing soldiers from the time periods I'm considering.

So what say you guys? I would love to read your comments, thoughts, likes/dislikes, requests, or advice. All is welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks, T

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I like it. I actually took a WW2 US war bonds pic of a Japanese Soldier sighting in with an Arisaka and converted it for use when shooting my US WW2 guns. I would do something similar for the rest of my WW2 guns if I could

·
Diamond Member
712 Posts
Hang fully filled half liter bottles of red colored water behind the targets in strategic spots - unless you use slugs, 2 liter bottles are too sturdy and will not blow up.

I know, what a sick puppy I am ....

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
It's neat. I;d like to have some but something tells me that these would be more pricey. I stingy when it comes to spending a lot of money on something I'm going to shoot holes in.

On a side note, would our German members be offended by this?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. Yes I want to create targets for different combatants and timeframes.

The print costs are the biggest challenge and only become manageable at higher run volumes.
I was thinking to sell targets in packs of ten and believe I can keep the price comparable
With other large format targets. The question is whether anyone would buy these
Types of targets.

T

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Dale, that's good info. Yes, I've have a local printer that is going to make this work, numbers-wise.

I am planning to have three more target images created. I am working with a new artist and I'm really stoked to see what his designs look like. I think they will make for some awesome targets!

Any requests for target content?

Next one is going to be a Soviet soldier in winter gear (good for eastern front or war with Finland rifles..). I'd like to produce something for the AR/AK crowd as well. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for the responses. More to come, shortly.

T

·
Gold Bullet Member
15,355 Posts
Alamo,

Like your idea. One suggestion. Add an SR-1 target black center mass for 100 yard shooting. Six and three eights inch diameter. That way you would have the fun and a legitimate NRA target to shoot at. You would have a six o'clock hold point to aim at and see where ya' could hit a man sized target at a hundred yards. To hell with any PC considerations. One more, Jerry looks like he is tossing a potato masher like a girl, might want to fix that a bit. I like the artwork other than that. I know it's a prototype, but they need to be tweaked a bit sometimes. Good luck.

Lancebear

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Personally, I did not sigh the 73 Peace Accords and consider an state of war to continue in force with the NVA.

I am all for more NVA targets to shoot but alas, I have to make do with paper ones. Sign me up for NVA targets.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha. Poor guy was just trying to scratch an itch.
;)
One of the reasons I've moved on to another artist is that this first target didn't meet all of my requirements.

I think I'll end up having to 'generalize' some of the targets. For example, I'll have to find a common ground between the look of a Viet Minh and NVA soldier and make it one target.

I have considered adding subdued (light grey maybe) scoring lines that would conform to NRA rings. You wouldn't be able to see them at 50 yds or more (unless through a scope) but of course would be able to score your shots up close.

Tenntex, you and I are on the same page. I have plans for scoped rifle images (counter sniper/ head shots), WWI trench images and would really like to produce some civil war and revolutionary war stuff for the BP crowd. Right now, I have to focus on what has the most mass appeal so that I can fund future production and printing expenditures.

Good feedback so far - much appreciated.

T

·
Registered
454 Posts
Japanese Target for "War in the Pacific"

here is what I just started using, still needs some work, it is from a War Bonds poster. Im also attaching some other ones that I havent used yet, and also attached is a scan of the old reliable "Huns Head" target

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.