Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up years ago for around $100. Its definitely used and abused. I haven't taken it out of the safe in almost a decade. Who made this one? It looks like ROF, which I believe is Fazakerly. Definitely got some character to but I definitely like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
ROF is Royal Ordnance Factory. (F) is for Fazakerly. So you weren't very far off

Just to lend a little more info which you might find educational : ROFM is Royal Ordnance Factory Maltby.
See how that works? ;)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesone. Does the S on the buttstock represent it being manufactured at Savage?

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
That type of S in that particular location means 'short'. That means the rifle was sized (via buttstock) to be 1/2" shorter than normal.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
Nope. The savage "S" is styalised so it looks more like a "5".
That big s there indicates its a "short" butt.
They came in 4 lengths each 1" (IIRC) different.
B antam
S hort
normal (unmarked)
& L ong

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did they do that to tailor the rifle to the soldier it was issued to?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting, i did not know that. It doesn't look like its been FTR'd

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Interesting, i did not know that. It doesn't look like its been FTR'd
Stories are that initially the soldiers 'kit' was issued to him as 'the next item on the shelf' irrespective of size, it was then up to each individual to wander about trying to find (say) a 'large guy' who had been issued a small stuff, and exchange it for the 'large stuff' issued to the small guy.

Rifles were eventually issued by serial number and the number noted in the soldiers records.
Armourers would 'adjust' the butt length to suit.

This is one reason why you often see rifles with very different coloured butts (compared to the rest of the furniture) as it was not a beauty contest and 'matching wood' didn't make it shoot any better.

My RAF Issue No4T is a prime example :

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I doubt there were any complaints (about colour of the rifle furntiiture) on the receiving end when "drilling round holes in square heads".

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Nice story - but in my time 1957-60, when being kitted out we were sized to fit.
Indeed, but veterans stories from WW2 suggest it was 'different then', and. my Fathers recollections of National Service was 'it was just thrown at you and you sorted it out between yourselves'

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,864 Posts
Alan that is spectactular !!!

Stories are that initially the soldiers 'kit' was issued to him as 'the next item on the shelf' irrespective of size, it was then up to each individual to wander about trying to find (say) a 'large guy' who had been issued a small stuff, and exchange it for the 'large stuff' issued to the small guy.

Rifles were eventually issued by serial number and the number noted in the soldiers records.
Armourers would 'adjust' the butt length to suit.

This is one reason why you often see rifles with very different coloured butts (compared to the rest of the furniture) as it was not a beauty contest and 'matching wood' didn't make it shoot any better.

My RAF Issue No4T is a prime example :

View attachment 3750765

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nope. The savage "S" is styalised so it looks more like a "5".
That big s there indicates its a "short" butt.
They came in 4 lengths each 1" (IIRC) different.
B antam
S hort
normal (unmarked)
& L ong
I found this information on a post somewhere on this forum, backed up with a similar post (with photos and measurements of different butts) on another site. The L butt on my 1944 Long Branch No.4 1/3 (FTR Fazakerley 1950) is 13 inches:

"The No.4 rifle butt lengths are 12 3/4" (Long), 12 1/4" (Regular), 11 3/4" (Short) and 11 1/4" (Bantam).
Long: 13"
Normal: 12 1/2"
Short: 12"
Bantam: 11 1/2"

All should be marked on the heel of the butt with an L, N, S, or B in regards to their lengths. The exception being that Normal's are sometimes unmarked".

Cheers

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
When measured from those points, those are the numbers. When measured from center of butt to trigger you get actual LOP. Which are 1/2 to 3/4 longer (don't remember which) but still works out to 1/2" increments.

·
Registered
9,798 Posts
I've never heard of a marked "N" stock! Anyone got a pic? I was always taught they were unmarked!

·
Registered
5,185 Posts
I've never heard of a marked "N" stock! Anyone got a pic? I was always taught they were unmarked!
Never saw the N on any of my rifles. Others have shown it on their early wartime production rifles though. Overall, having no N marking is much more common to find by a substantial margin.

·
Registered
315 Posts
As JB White said "Others have shown it on their early wartime production rifles though".

I agree, most normal length stocks that I have seen are unmarked. However, I have seen over the last couple of years three Walnut stocks offered by a Brit on eBay sold as normal and marked "N", so they are out there. A variation peculiar to a sub-contractor that made them perhaps?

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took this out yesterday and it shot pretty well. I was able to consistently hit an 8inch plate at 200yds, but had an extraction issue. It wouldn't extract the spent casings. Where would be the first place to check for issues?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts