Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never had much luck in my searches for a decent trainer, with the exception being a nice Patt14 No1 I’ve had for a fair while. I’ve bought and sold a few, but I recently got lucky with this nice example. It appears to be a 30’s done conversion, possibly retaining all its original timbers, but then at some point around1953 (the barrel date) it was rebuilt using a new barrel and forend and handguard, but retained its original 1915 butt and nosecap. It was originally a 2MD rifle, then a 3MD rifle, with both of these rack numbers on the action being xxxx over, but only the 2MD example being crossed off the butt. It was very much an untouched example, but was pulled down for postage from the seller up to Queensland. Thankfully it was done with care. Regards Anthony
Air gun Shotgun Trigger Gun accessory Revolver

Wood Rectangle Sleeve Cylinder Font

Wood Material property Tints and shades Household hardware Rectangle

Hand Household hardware Finger Wood Thumb

Bicycle part Rim Nickel Metal Carbon

Trigger Office equipment Revolver Air gun Shotgun

Wood Household hardware Door Rectangle Auto part

Brown Wood Rectangle Wood stain Brick

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Brown Wood Rectangle Font Wood stain

·
Registered
340 Posts
That's a really nice example Anthony with excellent stampings.
Mine is slightly later from 1917, also bears a faint 2MD stamp on the stock and a 4MD issue mark on the barrel.
It was converted in 12/1938, and at some later stage was fitted with 1943 Slazenger forewood but retained an old (mismatched) butt which unfortunately has been sanded.

Wood Office supplies Metal Rectangle Flooring

Musical instrument Wood Handwriting Wood stain String instrument accessory

Cylinder Gas Gun accessory Bicycle part Metal

Natural material Office supplies Cylinder Font Metal

Wood Lock Gas Circle Auto part

Grey Gas Font Electric blue Gun accessory

·
Registered
340 Posts
A bargain at twice the price.
I'm assuming the volley sights would have been removed at conversion, so someone has gone to the trouble of replacing the rear volley sight with a genuine Lithgow one.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a really nice example Anthony with excellent stampings.
Mine is slightly later from 1917, also bears a faint 2MD stamp on the stock and a 4MD issue mark on the barrel.
It was converted in 12/1938, and at some later stage was fitted with 1943 Slazenger forewood but retained an old (mismatched) butt which unfortunately has been sanded.

View attachment 3887735
View attachment 3887736
View attachment 3887737
View attachment 3887738
View attachment 3887739
View attachment 3887740
Very nice Doc. Is the bolt numbered in the traditional way? Bolthead carries the same date, interesting.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
ufo8mydog
I see a 11/51 date on barrel. Were trainers being made in 1951 or was this armory replacement barrel installed then ?

Generic question for all owners of trainers posted here: Were these trainers for cadet corps or did the Military Districts use them for reserve forces training ?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ufo8mydog
I see a 11/51 date on barrel. Were trainers being made in 1951 or was this armory replacement barrel installed then ?

Generic question for all owners of trainers posted here: Were these trainers for cadet corps or did the Military Districts use them for reserve forces training ?
This one appears to be a later replacement on an early conversion, but to my knowledge they were still doing No2MkIV* conversions up till at least 1953.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
These are wonderful rifles, and great fun to shoot
Mine started life as a Lithgow 1917 and looks very similar to Aussie Anthony's rifle. (including the brass pins)
There are some die hard Lithgow fans here, don’t be afraid to hijack this thread with some photos. You’re correct, fun to shoot, with more than acceptable accuracy in a lot of cases.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts