Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
9x23 Largo and 9x23 Winchester are different cartridges. Dimensions are very close between these two and also the 9x23 Steyr and .38 Super.

Dimensions are close enough that in theory one could chamber and fire one in the other, but this is NOT recommended. I would strongly recommend ,in all but the most dire SHTF situation, to stick with the cartridge the firearm is chambered for originally.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I was at a flea market today and bought 3 boxes of 38 super from a guy and we were talking about a Star modelo super I had and he said he had 3 boxes of western 9x23 ammo for $20 each and I could shoot it in my Star. I knew I had read somewhere that it was a no no, to shoot instead of 9mm Largo,but he argued me down that it was the same, just wanted to verify
he didn't know what he was talking about ! just let him go on and didn't even argue with the fool !. Still got a deal from him 3 boxes of Fiocchi 38 super and a box of gold dot .45 for $60 , !!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Many years ago, before I knew better, I fired several rounds of .38 super in my 9mm Largo Star Modelo Super. I think there were some feeding issues and it was definitely too hot. Ejection was violent and the extractor retaining pin started working loose from the slide. So, Don't use that stuff in the Star Super either.

·
Registered
71 Posts
THIS IS TOO CRAZY TO EVEN CONSIDER !! The 9x23 cartridge has nearly TWICE the pressure limits [ 45,000PSI VS25,000PSI+- ] as does the much older 9MM LARGO cartridge. Don't you people ever read.....how about CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD for starters ? NOTE: the cartridge brass blank used to form 9x23 cases is the SAME BLANK used to form the 454CASULL cartridge case.

·
Registered
79 Posts
IF the 9x23 Winchester ammo will chamber (Rim Thickness and Diameter permitting) allowing chambering and extraction, you might be able to break down the 9x 23 Winchester ammo and reload the casings.

I've reloaded .38 Super casings to acceptable levels in Astra 400's, with no problems. From what I've read, all Astra 400s marked "9mm / 38" were either modified or manufactured to accept both 9mm Largo and .38 Auto. I also reloaded .38 Super brass for a Star Super, but only AFTER I had the Super extractor thinned, to allow the extractor to let go of the thicker .38 Super rim. Later I bought a Federal Arms Corp 9mm Parabellum, drop in, barrel for the Super. I've been shooting 9mm Parabellum in it since. 9mm Parabellum brass is easier to get.

I've read about people having the face of the slide machined to open it up for the thicker .38 cal rims, but that seems like a lot of work and expense.

.38 Auto / .38 Super and 9mm Parabellum rims are thicker than 9mm Largo rims.

·
Registered
592 Posts
For those of you who read my original post and wondered if I was all there, the answer is no; I was dead tired. LOL!

I got two rounds mixed up. The NAACO Brigadier cartridge was the basis for the .45 Winchester Magnum, NOT the 9x23.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I really don't understand why......

Many years ago, before I knew better, I fired several rounds of .38 super in my 9mm Largo Star Modelo Super. I think there were some feeding issues and it was definitely too hot. Ejection was violent and the extractor retaining pin started working loose from the slide. So, Don't use that stuff in the Star Super either.
.....38 Super wouldn't work just fine in the Super A 9mm Largo. These same guns (Super B) take 9mm Luger, which is as hot as the 38 Super. The Super is all +P only to differentiate it from the .38 acp. The 9x23 Winchester is way hotter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Which "Super A" are you talking about here? The owner's manual that came with my Star 9mm Parabellum "Super B" had a exploded parts diagram and full parts listing with part numbers. The only difference between a Star 9mm Parabellum "Super B" and a Star .38 Super "Super A" was the barrels.

If I understand there were both "Model A's" and "Model Supers" in 9mm Largo, but the "Super A" was only in .38 Super.

If you put a .38 Super or 9mm Parabellum cartridge in a 9mm Largo Super, it will jam because the rim will be to thick and the extractor will not let go. At least my late '40's Super won't let go of the thicker rim. I had the extractor thinned, and now it works fine running .38 Supers in my 9mm Largo barrel, or 9mm Parabellum in a replacement Federal Arms Corp aftermarket 9mm Parabellum barrel.

.....38 Super wouldn't work just fine in the Super A 9mm Largo. These same guns (Super B) take 9mm Luger, which is as hot as the 38 Super. The Super is all +P only to differentiate it from the .38 acp. The 9x23 Winchester is way hotter.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
Again, we are confusing cartridges. The A Super is chambered in 9mm Largo, NOT 38 Super. Please folks - lets quit trying to shove the wrong cartridges in these guns.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Again, we are confusing cartridges. The A Super is chambered in 9mm Largo, NOT 38 Super. Please folks - lets quit trying to shove the wrong cartridges in these guns.
My question is: is there any reason that the Super A (9mmx23 Largo) is not safe to fire with .38 Super (also a 9X23) ammo pressure ammo? My observation is that the same Super Star A gun chambered in 9mm Luger (i.e., a Super B) works almost the same pressures as the.38 Super. There are a number of 9X23 rounds that differ only superficially in case specs (.38 Super, .38 ACP, 9mm Steyr. 9x23 Winchester) but only the Winchester operates at higher pressure (and should definitely not be used in the Star Super A).

If it's OK with the 9mm Luger pressures, why not with the .38 Super?

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
No. Modern non-corrosive 9mm Largo was loaded for sub machine guns - it is at the outside range of usable for the Modelo Supers, and definately not for the Astra 400s and earlier Campo Giro.

You all can believe what you want and stick a piece of dynamite in your gun for all I care, but I stick to the adage : Use only what the gun was designed for.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Thanks, that's the info I was looking for.

But why the nasty comment about a stick of dynamite? I certainly wouldn't do anything that might damage the Campo-Giro; That's why I asked. The gun is well made, but about a century old.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh, sorry. Thought it was directed at me.

You did enlighten me with a bit of info that never occurred to me: It never dawned on me that relatively modern Largo would be harmful to an Astra 400.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts