Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
10,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting the silver bear HP's right now. Would like to find a source of brass cased ammo so I can start reloading. Any advice?

·
Copper Bullet member
45 Posts
Sellier & Bellot is readily available, usually even locally.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Since you're going to reload anyway, you might consider starting with 500 new Starline cases rather than buying commercially loaded ammo. At Midway, for example, the cheapest brass-cased Mak ammo is Winchester (made by S&B in Czech Republic, but headstamped WIN and boxed in a Winchester white box) and that's about $16 for 50 rounds, 32 cents/shot, plus shipping.

By comparison, the Starline brass is about $73 for 500 cases, or 15 cents/case. Add 2.2 cents for a primer, no more than 2 cents for powder, and a Berry's plated bullet at 7.5 cents ($75/1000 delivered) and you're at about 26 cents/shot. If you use a moly coated lead bullet from Bear Creek Supply ($42/1000 delivered) at 4.2 cents you're down under 23 cents/shot.

If you can recover all your brass, your reloads will of course be much less, down in the 8-12 cents/shot range. But you knew that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I make my 9x18 brass from 9x19 brass I find at the range. Many 9 Para shooters are kind enough to leave their brass for me. I could buy new brass but as I shoot outdoors most of the time I tend to loose more brass than I like to admit. By trimming down free brass the lost pieces do not hurt so much.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Cutting down 9x19 brass is a long and honored tradition among 9x18 shooters.

The other end of the process is not mentioned very often, though - the (at least moral) duty NOT to leave those cut down empty cases, still headstamped "9mm Luger," lying around the range for some 9x19 shooter to pick up and reload for HIS 9x19 guns. If you already "lose" more cases than you would like to admit, think about what'll happen to those cut down cases of yours.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I used to trim 9x19 down to 9x18, but wore out my old arm. I always put red nail polish on the base of the round. Anyone who picked it up should wonder why.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cutting down 9x19 brass is a long and honored tradition among 9x18 shooters.

The other end of the process is not mentioned very often, though - the (at least moral) duty NOT to leave those cut down empty cases, still headstamped "9mm Luger," lying around the range for some 9x19 shooter to pick up and reload for HIS 9x19 guns. If you already "lose" more cases than you would like to admit, think about what'll happen to those cut down cases of yours.
That's a valid point. Anyone who uses range brass without looking it over carefully before they load is going to have trouble anyway. In the past I have not marked the bases because I do not have a 9mm. I mark my hot 38 S&W loads with an orange marker, maybe I'll do the same with my 9x18's.

I would think that the extra force required to run a Makarov case in a Para die would be noticeable.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,030 Posts
Fire Form?

I make my 9x18 brass from 9x19 brass I find at the range....By trimming down free brass the lost pieces do not hurt so much.
It's my understanding that the MAK is a little larger in diameter than the para; do you have to fire form your cut down brass, or just jam the bullet (also a little fatter) down into it and let it fireform itself?

Do you use your para loading dies for reloading the MAK? Does the same shell holder work on both para and mak casings?

I have made casings for the CZ-52 7.62 X 25mm out of 5.56 X 45mm (.223) rifle brass in a pinch; I suppose that you wouldn't have to cut nearly as much off with the para brass, but I wonder if it would work?

Just ordered my first CZ-82, so I guess I'll have to run out and buy new loading dies and bullet moulds to go with it.
That poly rifling ought to do well with cast lead, I would assume.

·
Registered
116 Posts
First I trim down the 9x19 brass to 18mm. Second, I lightly chamfer the inside and outside of the case mouth. Third, I reload the brass normally though my carbide 9x18 reloading dies. The expander dies take the case out enough to accept Makarov bullets, but they will be slightly bottle necked the first time. They fire form during the first firing. As I am using 9x19 brass I use a 9x19 shell holder, but I think they are the same anyway.

At this point I am also experimenting with lead bullets in my CZ82. I stumbled onto a home made double cavity bullet mold which I am using. It is a 100.6 gn SWC that cast a .363 dia bullet. I don't know what the maker was going for and I know it is technically undersized but it seems to be working without leading. I am casting from straight wheel weights and using Lee Liquid Alox as cast. I am only shooting less than 100 rds at a sesion and I do not know when the leading is supposed to start showing up. Maybe I need to shoot more between cleaning sessions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts