Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I added this 9th Series Izawa to my "training rifle" collection. There are no receiver markings that would indicate status as a trainer, however, the painted buttstock kanji reads "99 Type Short Rifle." I'm guessing (and it's only a guess) that this example was used as training tool for those unfamiliar with various types of Japanese firearms. Any other theories?

C/

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Chip,

Did Izawa make any other things? I can see the rifle used in a display of their products? But I like the training theory, it works for me. Jon

·
Silver Bullet member
15,572 Posts
Maybe some GI had a Japanese label the rifle for him? Looks cool anyway!

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chip, Did Izawa make any other things? I can see the rifle used in a display of their products? But I like the training theory, it works for me. Jon
Yep, they made tons of T-38 training rifles (facsimile rifles), some of the Naval Special rifles, and (in my opinion) at least some of the T-02/45 rifles.

C/

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I would agree with 03Man, but the Kanji defiantely looks like 'native Japanese' and not GI done. Is the rifle ground or mismatched?

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Is the rifle ground or mismatched?
The kanji is absolutely Japanese-written. The overall condition is really nice, with the stock being essentially unblemished. The mum is ground with only the outline remaining. All parts match, except the striker for some reason. The striker is the correct type with proper proofs for a 9th Series, but has a different number.

C/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts