Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased some Starline 9mm Largo brass off the WTS/WTT section some time back, it was unprimed and looked perfectly fine. This brass was loaded with my trusted 9mmL load I have used many times on other brass. The first gun it was shot out of was a 400 and all brass split at the mouth or just below the mouth for about 6mm. Most splits started at the mouth and worked down about 6-7mm. I wrote SL and got a ho-hum response so I thought maybe it was the gun so today I tried it in another 400 and a Destroyer. Both other guns functioned fine but the brass all split the same way as before. So I will shoot this stuff up then toss but am thinking of going to win 9x23 brass and load it to 9mmL levels, any thoughts? Have you had any experience with SL brass splitting and again thoughts on the idea around 9x23 win loaded to safe 9mmL levels for use?

Thanks, RJS

·
Silver Bullet member
261 Posts
I have used 9x23 Win brass to load largo rounds and, in general, it has worked well. There are two issues that you might encounter: first, 9x23 Win has a smaller case volume than 9mm Largo brass due to the thicker webbing. This might cause an issue if you are using an older, slower powder. I have loaded mine with modern fast powders that require a smaller load. Second, the rim diameter or the 9x23 cases is a hair wider than 9mm Largo. It is possible that it might not have some extractor issues on some guns.

Jim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Years back I loaded .38 Super brass to 9mm Para levels in my "9mm/38" (38 for .38 ACP, which uses the same case as the .38 Super (Auto) but at roughly 9mm Largo levels) marked Astra 400s. They worked fine.

The only reason I quit reloading .38 Super brass was I got 9mm Para FAC barrels for my Astra 400s. 9mm Para brass is easier to find, so I don't worry about picking up my scarcer .38 Super brass. Regretfully, FAC went out of business years ago.

I don't know which is easier / scarcer or more / less expensive 9x23 or .38 Super brass, but you might consider .38 Super brass.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts