Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lived in Pittsburgh, PA in the early 80s. A fellow collector bought a 99 at an antique store as I remember (can remember what happened 20 years ago, but not last week, strange). Anyway a considerable section of the upper part of the butt stock had been professionally replaced and the stock was studded with metal particles, shrapnel. Believe the rifle was an Izawa 4th.

Called him today and he said he might let the rifle go. If so, it can sing, "My home's in Alabama." Early 99s were found on Attu, believe the pods were missing. Most of the Attu (or was it Kiska) troops were evacuated as were the remainder of the Guadalcanal forces. It would be my bet the rifle was evacuated from one of these areas and repaired at one of the major Japanese bases, Rabaul or Truk, or even Japan proper. Of course, there is always the chance the G.I that brought the rifle home did it If they could just talk and Okiedokee would translate.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only way I can remember (?) is they fought on the "first one in the alphabet" and that doesn't always work. There is a book of individual G.I combat experiences on Attu. "The Capture of Attu" compiled by Lt. R. J. Mitchell, U. of Nebraska Press. 140 p. It was originally published by the Alaska Northwest Publishing Co, in Anchorage, 1984? 80p

There is also an Army doc., "Action on Attu, A Summary of the Enemy Obtained During the Operations of the (blacked out) Force on Attu Against the Japanese Occupation Force Beginning 11 May, 1943" Unclassified Aug 13, 1950. Lot of photos, interesting enough is the T89 "knee mortar," it's drilled. My copy is a photocopy

On p. 28 the 2nd pgh notes, "Enemy rifles has a light steel wire support which was hinged to the rifle at the lower band....and apparently had been lost or removed from many of the rifles." Had pod been dropped when these rifles issued, but pod band still in use? Attu and Kiska occupied in mid-42.

"Final Report of Reduction and Occupation of Attu from the Combat Intelligence Point of View" Intelligence Memorandum No. 8" 99 p. Mine is a very poor photocopy, I'd like to borrow one that would copy well, would be happy to have an extra made for the lender.

There is another Gov. publication "the enemy on KISKA", 102 pages, describes what was found, other than the two dogs, when Kiska was invaded.

There are a lot of excellent reports in Uncle Sammies files if you can just locate them. It would be interesting to start a sticky (OH NO, NOT ANOTHER!) on Gov. reports in the Nat. Archives or at the Army facility in PA and see if there is an index of reports on various Pacific battles and if copies of the reports can be obtained.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,554 Posts
Stickys

Just start a new thread on anything you want to be a sticky. Then we can add it to the "interesting stuff" sticky by putting a link to it.

ergo, no new stickys, but it is there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts