Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was watching "A Bridge Too Far" for the umpteenth time today, and noticed in the scene of the Polish parachutists being shot at, there is a 98k type rifle with a Lange rear sight being used to shoot at them. Is this some kind of prototype, or a not too often seen model? Any ideas? TIA. EDINOH.

·
Registered
523 Posts
There were some WWI era model 98 rifles used during the WWII era. In general, they were upgraded to the K98k standards, but some retained the lange sight.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
The Lange sights were among the first things to go when the Weimar army upgraded rifles. If that was a regular Gew98 with straight bolt, etc it's one thing. If that pic was from a WW2 newsreel we could be confident it is legit, but from a movie made decades afterwards....

·
Registered
72 Posts
M1 Carbine

My Pen-pal from East Germany since 1968 married her feldwebel from the east German Army. He was in the Luftwaffe as a radio man and wound up in a Luftwaffe infantry battalion. He used a captured M1 carbine until his feldwebel took it away from him so it is not that unusual for them to use captured weapons. He is still alive and is 81 now. My penpal is 57. He was at my place in 1993. I took him to a museum and he spotted the carbine and told me the story. He was shot 2 times and surrendered to the Americans.

·
Registered
367 Posts
The M1 was in a scene where German troops were moving toward the house used as a first aid station near the end of the movie.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts