Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BCD4 98k and I wanted to refinish the steel on it. The finish is coming off of it and I would like to repair it. The receiver and barrel have pitting on the outside although before I got it all of the rust had been cleaned out. I was hoping someone could give me advice on how to fill the pitting and then finish it off with something protective. I have looked at duracoat products because they also have a filler that is made for pitting. But I'm not sure yet. I would probably have to take down the whole gun and blast it off first. Does anyone know what parts get finished besides what you can see on the outside? Am I supposed to fully strip the gun and cover every part inside too? Or just what you see on the outside of the gun?

·
Gold Bullet member
995 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The way to start with a project like yours is to post some pictures of the k98. The steps to take will depend on if the k98 is all matching or a parts gun. This forum is mainly dedicated original configuration. If your k98 needs drastic measures, this forum may be of limited use. Pictures will help others give advice...

However by what you are describing the bcd, there is no way to restore this to original condition. You might find advice geared towards modern refinishes at the Work bench forum. http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?66-Workbench-Forum

Yes and Please post some pictures...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I once restored a Gew98 that was almost beyond salvation. I had it sandblasted and reblued professionally. Pitting is still there of course but the rusting has stopped. Note that these were taken only due to the very poor condition of my gun.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have had good luck rust blueing and it can be done with a steam pot. It's slow but it is the most durable blue there is. Depends mostly on how rough it is and how hard you are willing to work to make it smooth again. Sunfish

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.