Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Topic: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: oldsmithy
Subject: k98 bayonets, references
Date Posted: 03 Aug 2007 at 1:13pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a fairly extensive reference section on my web site on the Nazi period 84/98's with makers marks, non standard (but accepted markings) dates etc. if that is of any help. Also join BCN they are heavily into these and their members only site has a lot of info on production numbers etc well worth looking into

-------------
carl www.old-smithy.info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Replies:
Posted By: westr70
Very good Carl. I will check it out. Just by looking at them on ebay, I can see quite a few differences and will be interested in finding out what they mean.

I just bought the book on German clamshells. This is my third book I've bought. And I thought the bayonets themselves were expensive.

MAny of the "best" (read standard) bayoent books are now out of print and can cost a fortune, I have around 50 references ranging from $15 for a few pages to over $500, the books can cost more than the blades but without the information they contain you coudl lose a lot more than that. I recently bought a blade that is mega rare based on a few lines in one of Carters books, most people are probably unaware of the significance of the markings (I will admit i was initially till i re read the refernces) having the book meant i got a good deal

-------------
carl www.old-smithy.info

Hi George, I'm pleased to meet you. Your book is my reading material each evening. I certainly appreciate the amount of historical material you included which makes it more than just a reference book but an historical narrative as well. John

Posted By: Park Ranger
I have a copy of "Seitengewehr" and I highly recommend it. It covers dress bayonets, Police bayonets, foreign blades, and even the cords that were worn with the dress blades.

-------------

Posted By: marysdad
Seitengewehr by George Wheeler is an excellent book. Now is the time to buy one, because once they are sold out, the price will likely skyrocket. It's that way with bayonet books, because the printings are usually small and it's hard to finance subsequent printings. A very inexpensive reference is: Reichswehr and Wehrmacht Bayonets 1920-1945 by Mike Welser. This is a great pocket guide to post-WW I German bayonets. Its small, soft-cover format makes it ideal for your hip-pocket at gun shows. All copies are signed and numbered. Available directly from the author. You can find his contact info on my website at: http://www.worldbayonets.com/Library/Books/books.html#TopPage. If you are into dress bayonets, German Clamshells And Other Bayonets by Gary Walker and Ron Weinand is a nice book. Used copies can be found very reasonably via the major online booksellers.

-------------
809 Posts on Old Forum
98k Bayonet Collector's Network Member
NRA Life Member
www.worldbayonets.com - www.worldbayonets.com

which period of the 84/98 are you after, Imperial or Nazi?

-------------
carl www.old-smithy.info

Posted By: mariko
I have a copy of 'The German Bayonet" by John Walter, very good book.

-------------
Jedem Das Seine

quote:
Originally posted by oldsmithy
which period of the 84/98 are you after, Imperial or Nazi?

Right now (he says) I'm looking at Nazi.

-------------
No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session. -Mark Twain (1866)

Thank you guys. I'll look these puppies up.

I just got "Seitengewehr" by George Wheeler. Amazing amount of information with what appears to be good useful photographs. Not only does it appear "useful" but it looks like a lot of interesting history too.

Posted By: Park Ranger
I do not regret for a minute that I coughed up the money for G. Wheeler's book. I need to get other blade books to add to the library. I'm going to try to focus on collecting Eickhorn blades with the Squirrel logo, but so far, I've been getting sidetracked on other purchases! [:D]

-------------

I know what you mean Park Ranger. Although, I'm not sure I want to know anything about squirrel logos at this point. Although, I seem to remember some acorn dagger ornaments. Each avenue I learn about seems to beckon to my wallet more than my two teenage daughters.

Posted By: VOPO
westr70, I am glad you liked my book, "Seitengewehr; History of the German Bayonet." I hope you find it useful. I am new to this board as I just transferred over from the Old Gunboards DDR Forum that moved servers and I just wanted to say Hi! George Wheeler

-------------

Posted By: munson1
Took Marysdad's advise & sent for Mike Weiser's Pocket Book Reichswehr and Wehrmacht Bayonets 1920-1945, Well, book came today & Very Happy. It's going to Gunshows in my back pocket. Munson1 Ken

1 - 1 of 1 Posts