Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Sen. John McCain said yesterday that the situation in Afghanistan would get worse before it would get better.

Amtraker, as always I encourage your input into this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pakistani militants destroy Western army vehicles
Sun Dec 7, 2008 7:54am EST Email | Print | Share| Reprints | Single Page | Recommend (10) [-] Text [+] By Faris Ali

PESHAWAR, Pakistan (Reuters) - Pakistani militants attacked a parked convoy of trucks carrying military vehicles for Western forces in Afghanistan near Peshawar early on Sunday, destroying 96 trucks, police said.

Security guards said they were overpowered by more than 200 militants who attacked two terminals on the ring road round the northwestern city of Peshawar, where the trucks carrying Humvees and other military vehicles were parked.

"It happened at around 2.30 a.m. They fired rockets, hurled hand grenades and then set ablaze 96 trucks," senior police officer Azeem Khan told Reuters.

Most of the fuel and other supplies for U.S. and NATO forces in landlocked Afghanistan are trucked through Pakistan, much of it through the mountainous Khyber Pass between Peshawar, capital of North-West Frontier Province and the border town of Torkham.

Khan said one private security guard was killed in an exchange of fire between police and the militants.

"They were shouting Allah-o-Akbar (God is Great) and Down With America. They broke into the terminals after snatching our guns," said Mohammad Rafiullah, security guard at one terminal.

Militants destroyed 22 trucks carrying food supplies in the same area a week ago.

Last month the government closed the main supply route to Western forces in Afghanistan for a week after militants hijacked more than a dozen trucks on the road through the Khyber Pass.

ISLAMIST MILITANTS IN KHYBER PASS

There have been signs this year that Islamist militancy has spread to the area from more distant tribal regions where the Taliban and al Qaeda have taken root.

Peshawar city police chief Safwat Ghayyur said the government planned to launch an operation against "miscreants" soon. "A plan of operation is in place as we have crafted a strategy in which we will have to go after them," he said.

The other main land route to Afghanistan runs from the southwestern city of Quetta through the border town of Chaman to the southern Afghan city of Kandahar.

Pakistani forces are battling al Qaeda and Taliban militants in the northwest. The militants have retaliated with a campaign of suicide bombings, particularly against security forces in the ethnic Pashtun tribal regions on the Afghan border.

The violence has raised concern about nuclear-armed Pakistan's stability as its eight-month-old civilian government is also grappling with an economic crisis.

Apart from the deteriorating security situation in the northwest, the government is trying to handle tension with India resulting from the militant attack that killed 171 people in Mumbai at the end of last month.

India and U.S. officials believe the attackers came from Pakistan, and New Delhi is demanding that Islamabad take action against their alleged backers.

(Additional reporting by Junaid Khan and Kamran Haider; editing by Simon Cameron-Moore and Tim Pearce)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Why don't you take them on with your BB Gun, or is it your paintball gun, hero?

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why don't you take them on with your BB Gun, or is it your paintball gun, hero?

I knew:

A. You would like the shooting story.

B. Still waiting for the obvious.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
I'll bet the other people at Billy Bob's Mercenary School were on the edge of their plastic chairs with your tail of putting down the bad guys with a hail of orange paintballs. lol. Call me when you get a life.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll bet the other people at Billy Bob's Mercenary School were on the edge of their plastic chairs with your tail of putting down the bad guys with a hail of orange paintballs. lol. Call me when you get a life.
I got a good life.

One that allows me to correctly analyze a situation from afar.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and 160 Humvees burned at port this morning. Is this the same incident? How does one set a hummer on fire?

And not wanting to be a downer, at least this means more jobs for the auto workers replacing them! :)
Yep, over 150 trucks carrying supplies.

Peshwar is lost. Last week 22 trucks were burned.

Wow, thanks for the pic, that is a horrible picture.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
I got a good life.

One that allows me to correctly analyze a situation from afar.
Yes, you have a good life that other people are paying the freight for, so you can maintain it. As for analyzing situations, don't delude yourself that your an analyst.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you have a good life that other people are paying the freight for, so you can maintain it. As for analyzing situations, don't delude yourself that your an analyst.

Well, I'll take it you've just about given up defending NATO's COIN in that part of the world.

Hell, NATO can't even protect the very port where it draws supplies from. Looks like they lost the initiative long ago in this stinker of a show.

But you can always rag on me Amtraker, I know it will make the pain of the loss a bit easier.

You know, like the kid who said the king has no clothes.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Well, I'll take it you've just about given up defending NATO's COIN in that part of the world.

Hell, NATO can't even protect the very port where it draws supplies from. Looks like they lost the initiative long ago in this stinker of a show.
Uh, you are aware that Peshawar is not in Afghanistan, right? You know that NATO has no ground troops in Pakistan, because Pakistan is a sovereign country, right? Do you ever engage your brain before you post, or is your hatred of the military so intense that it overcomes reason? Well, since you say that you base all of your grand pronouncements on "analysis", why don't you analyze this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peshawar

The only part of "analysis" that you seem to get right is anal.

As for the COIN fight in Afghanistan, I have no doubt that the Coalition will prevail. You seem to have a hard time denoting the fact that the Taliban are fighting on a thin logistical string.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Oh, that would be my bad, the translation for staging area came out as port. So sue me:).

Still, half the country is unemployed, can't they find a few more security personnel? Is this a sign the Paks are turning against us by allowing it? Shouldn't they have some soldiers guarding all this stuff? Peshwar isn't up in Taliban infested mountains, it's down in the flatland, how does a bunch of these guys get there? I should find somebody who knows Pakistan.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
8,107 Posts
Oh, that would be my bad, the translation for staging area came out as port. So sue me:).

Still, half the country is unemployed, can't they find a few more security personnel? Is this a sign the Paks are turning against us by allowing it? Shouldn't they have some soldiers guarding all this stuff? Peshwar isn't up in Taliban infested mountains, it's down in the flatland, how does a bunch of these guys get there? I should find somebody who knows Pakistan.
I have no problem with your translation difficulties (trust me, we have it here on a daily basis). It seems though that BR, in his haste to slam the military again, and his lack of geographic knowledge of the region showed brightly through. Peshawar isn't even in Afghanistan, and if it's a port, then BR really is an engineer. As for the reasons why this happened, I think a good idea would be to look at the new Pakistani Governments dealings with the tribes in the NWFP. This is probably a backlash for activities there.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Analysis from afar? I'd take the words of some of these "outgoing" commanders and Generals with a grain of salt. Too many Generals want to become "politicians" these days. You also should realize that some of these people are being replaced under less than mutual agreement. Happened during the Bush Administration. Some General would "retire", claim we couldn't win in Iraq, then weeks later they would turn up as an "adviser" to some Democrat or a mouthpiece for the liberal media.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have no problem with your translation difficulties (trust me, we have it here on a daily basis). It seems though that BR, in his haste to slam the military again, and his lack of geographic knowledge of the region showed brightly through. Peshawar isn't even in Afghanistan, and if it's a port, then BR really is an engineer. As for the reasons why this happened, I think a good idea would be to look at the new Pakistani Governments dealings with the tribes in the NWFP. This is probably a backlash for activities there.

Ha! When I posted this summer how badly the situation in Pakistan you mocked that.

Don't you get tired of defending a FUBAR like this COIN in that region?

Don't worry, Obama will be in office in a little over a month, maybe things will get better.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Montello,

You might as well be talking to a wall. Don't bother.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Years ago around four hundred railcars loaded with chemicals of varios types blew up near Knoxville Tennessee, I don't remember anyone screaming that Tennessee was lost and everyone should flee.

Maybe you should google up images of "the Highway of Death" and see what real destruction looks like, or the "Devils Rock Garden".
Loss of a single merchant marine freighter in WW2 resulted in much greater loss of equipment.

There are probably as many privately owned civilian versions of the Humvee within a few miles of here.

The Chicken Little tactic is ridiculous.

·
Banned
5,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Phuck, they've gone from 54% to 72% control in Afghanistan? Yep, Russell sure was wrong all summer about the failure of NATO to control the Taliban.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Second Taliban raid destroys Nato supplies bound for AfghanistanSaeed Shah in Islamabad, Richard Norton-Taylor, Simon Tisdall and agencies guardian.co.uk, Monday December 8 2008 13.15 GMT Article history

Gunmen from the Pakistani Taliban torched supplies destined for Nato forces in Afghanistan for a second day running today, officials said.

The militants struck a container terminal on the outskirts of Peshawar, in north-west Pakistan, just over a mile from yesterday's attack, in which gunmen torched more than 100 trucks.

About 50 containers were destroyed in today's assault, which again targeted the main route for supplies to troops in land-locked Afghanistan from Pakistan.

"The militants came just past midnight, firing in the air, sprinkled petrol on containers and then set them on fire," Mohammad Zaman, a security guard at the terminal on the Peshawar ring road, told Reuters.

"They told us they would not harm us, but they asked us not to work for the Americans."

Militants fired rockets at two trucks carrying supplies for Nato forces as they drove along the ring road overnight.

Yesterday's attack was the biggest yet on Nato supplies going into Afghanistan.

Security guards at two depots in Peshawar were outnumbered by more than 200 militants at around 3am. About 70 Humvees loaded on some of the trucks were destroyed. Most of the vehicles were reduced to charred hulks of metal. "They fired rockets, hurled hand grenades and then set ablaze 96 trucks," said a senior police officer in Peshawar, Azeem Khan.

The attacks came as the Taliban chief, Mullah Mohammed Omar, urged western forces to leave Afghanistan before thousands of their troops were killed in the Islamist group's renewed insurgency.

Omar, believed to be hiding in the border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan, said in an email statement: "I would like to remind the illegal invaders who have invaded our defenceless and oppressed people that it is a golden opportunity for you at present to hammer out an exit strategy for your forces. The current armed clashes which now number into tens will spiral up to hundreds of armed clashes. Your current casualties of hundreds will jack up into the thousands."

The Taliban has a permanent presence in 72% of the territory of Afghanistan, up from 54% last year, and is expanding its control beyond the rural south of the country, the International Council on Security and Development, formerly the Senlis Council, said in a report today.

The independent thinktank and research organisation said three of the four main routes leading out of Kabul, the capital, were threatened by the Taliban.

Most of the additional American troops arriving in Afghanistan early next year would be deployed near Kabul, the New York Times reported yesterday, citing American military commanders.

The Pakistani Taliban have begun to focus increasingly on choking off the supply path through Pakistan, which is used to take more than 70% of military equipment, food, fuel and other vital provisions to western soldiers across the border.

Supplies are trucked hundreds of miles from the port at Karachi across Pakistan to Peshawar, and then onward to Afghanistan through the Khyber Pass.

A security guard at one of the depots said 13 of them had been trying to hold out against the militants yesterday; they had been forced to give up after about half an hour. One security guard was killed in the shoot-out.

Another guard, Mohammad Rafiullah, said: "They were shouting 'Allahu Akbar' [God is greatest] and 'Down With America'. They broke into the terminals after snatching our guns."

Security was supposed to have been tightened after a Nato convoy passing through the Khyber Pass was recently ransacked. Television pictures have subsequently shown Taliban guerrillas in Pakistan's lawless tribal area driving around in Humvees looted from that assault.

"We don't feel safe here at all," said Kifayatullah Khan, a depot manager, who predicted that most of the guards would now quit out of fear. "It is almost impossible for us to continue with this business."

The US military in Afghanistan said its loss from yesterday's attack would have "minimal effect on our operations".

It was revealed at the weekend that much of the $10bn (£6.8bn) in American military aid given to Pakistan over the past 10 years - to maximise its contribution to the so-called war on terror - had been wasted or used to boost the Pakistani armed forces in their ongoing standoff with India.

The admission comes as a series of top-level reviews of US policy towards Pakistan and Afghanistan near completion. Officials say the reassessments, containing new policy options, are intended to ensure the president-elect, Barack Obama, "hits the ground running" when he takes office next month.

"We've gone seven long years proclaiming that Pakistan was an ally and that it was doing everything we asked in the war on terror," a senior official involved in drafting the review told the New York Times yesterday. "And the truth is that $10bn later, they still don't have the basic capacity for counterinsurgency operations. What we are telling Obama and his people is that has to be reversed."

The Khyber Pass area is being targeted by a newly emerged commander called Hakimullah Mehsud, who is a deputy of the feared Baitullah Mehsud, the militant who leads Pakistan's main Taliban faction. Hakimullah, who is based in another part of the tribal area called Orakzai, has started to hold press conferences to trumpet his successes. His men use stolen Humvees.

Hakimullah Mehsud said in a recent TV interview that he was opposed to the Pakistani authorities, as well as western troops. "We are at war with those who support Nato forces," he said.

There are few other options for Nato supplies. Iran also borders Afghanistan and has ports that could service it but this would be politically unpalatable. A long, cumbersome route via Russia and the central Asian

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Advisory Board
  • Mind pointing to the Military Geniuses in this list of advisors to the senility Council?
Their main operations these days appears to be some scheme to legalize Opium production.
A bunch of academics , third rate politicians, chemists and washed up ex Narcs.
Looking to gain control of the Opium output with some licensing and taxation scheme.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.