Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I'm attaching 3 photos of the sites on my 1929 SRC. I'm confused by the rear site adjustment, and the rear siting. Is the front site accurate for the year? Do the 'notches' on the rear slider mean anything? And by my looking it appears there are 2 levels of view through the rear site, and upper and lower. As an example looking through this if I site on the lower level using the site is that for a certain distance, and then the upper level another? I thought potentially the slider was in 50yrd increments so every notch would move 50 out to 300yrds. I could use some help with this. Thanks much,
Richard
Win front site.jpg
Win rear site.jpg
Win rear site 2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
721 Posts
Its a Kings rear sight and could have been special ordered.patina matches but hard to autheticate.
That sight would typically be used on a rifle not carbine ,but you could order any sight made by any maker then.

·
Registered
4,588 Posts
you can get a letter on your rifle, but i don,t think it will have that sight on the order. letter on one of my 73 winchester rifles states, rifle-38 caliber-octagon barrel-plain trigger- recieved in warehouse july 1893- shipped from warehouse oct 1893, shipped with two other rifles order number 2233.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I'm not sure what the notch value is on a king sight,Ill see if Stroebels data has the specs.The center leaf is for fine adjustment,usually dovetailed and a lock screw to hold.The notch in the leaf Is your rear point of aim. It slides up and down in the sight base.

·
Registered
721 Posts
The sight was patented in 1933 so it was defiantly added, whether its the correct King sight for 94 carbine will confirm later.Ill look at the King sight brochure .

·
Registered
721 Posts
The sight is a No. 8 flat top sporting sight, adapted to a variety of rifles .It does not list notch values but 8 adjustments.
The center fine adjustment leaf has a V notch on one side and U notch on opposite.The front hidden part o f the elevator doubles as a screwdriver for the leaf lock screw.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great info guys, thanks. I'll have to check my site out vs. your data iron worker.
Richard

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Your front sight blade is also an after market addition. It is either a Kings or Marbles blade (probably a Marbles "Sheard") and is much higher than a factory front sight blade. That
is probably why they added an after marker rifle rear sight. How does it shoot? Usually a higher front sight was added to lower the point of impact. Given this is a short barrelled carbine, I suspect it was used in heavy brush were you had a limited range of sight.
Dan

·
Registered
721 Posts
Front sight is a Lyman ,bead .The standard No. 44A rear ladder sight is the most common but 2 and 3 three leaf express was a common special order for carbine.I've had two carbine and a rifle with them from factory.If I had to guess based on patina those sights have been on that carbine since 1930's.
The lock screw is on the front of the flat top ,take the elevator off and the tip is the screwdriver for lock screw.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts