Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought that those modern carbines would be worth much more than $125. Seems they have gone up in value also. Whats the average price in your neck of the woods folks?

·
Administrator
17,694 Posts
Nobody is collecting the modern lever guns yet, ask again in 50 years. You're right though, I have also seen the prices go up in the last few years. A decent model 94 used to sell down here for around $150 and now guys are asking nearly what they sold for when they were new in the box, upwards of $300. I never stuck around long enough to see if those rifles actually sold, so I couldn't tell you about the negotiated prices. I can tell you that there is a difference between the asking price and the getting price and while it's not a Winchester, I recently bought a Marlin that was in "as new" condition with not a mark on it and the stock checkering still sharp for $100.00. I apologize if you're not interested in Marlins, but I'm so damn pleased with myself for buying that rifle for that price I just had to tell somebody.:D

·
Registered
413 Posts
At a silent auction at a local church in December of 2005 I paid around $200. The going price in my local gunshop was around $275. That's about what I paid for a Model 94 with a saddle ring about 3 years before.

Shortly after that, Winchester sold out to China.

I think that's what has prompted part of the rise in prices. Who's going to paid good money for a Chinese Winchester?

Also, the Model 94 has been discontinued according to the Winchester web site. The last offering was in 2006 with an MSRP of $386.:eek:

I really wish I still had that saddle ring rifle. Had to sell it (and other firearms) due to lack of room in a friend's gunsafe when I was sent to Iraq.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,440 Posts
Those klunky post 64-94 Winchesters are still fairly cheap down here, But good pre 64's can still be picked up for the same price as some sellers (some dealers as well) dont know the difference. I left a holding deposit on a nice 1948 .38-55 Rifle with a lyman tang sight last week priced at AU$285 until my permit to pick it up comes thrue. Regards chester.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seems like it is just one more example of this country selling out their companies to the chinese. all for a fricken dollar. the almighty dollar!

I SAID IT THEN AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN...BUY AMERICAN...THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!

Too bad it is too late to save this country.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,440 Posts
seems like it is just one more example of this country selling out their companies to the chinese. all for a fricken dollar. the almighty dollar!

I SAID IT THEN AND I'LL SAY IT AGAIN...BUY AMERICAN...THE JOB YOU SAVE MAY BE YOUR OWN!!!

Too bad it is too late to save this country.
Hello award, You mentioned Chinese, I hope i have got it wrong. There not going to start manufacture of the Win. 94 are they? Would not surprise me though. chester.

·
Registered
413 Posts
When the news about the pending sale first hit the news, it was reported as being sold overseas unless the employees could figure out a way to buy the company first. They weren't able to find the financing. Last I heard, Winchester was bought by an overseas (non-US) firm that planned on moving production to China. Norinco makes the M1887 shotgun, so I assume they are the ones who were to take over production of the remainder of Winchester's line.

FWIW, I've heard some favorable things about the Norinco M1887. Still, I'm not going to buy a Chinese-made Winchester. For that matter, I doubt I will buy a Winchester made in any country other than the US. Sorry to our Australian friends (who also currently make the M1887, I think), but that would be like buying an Enfield that was made in China, or Burnt Corn, Alabama. It's historically wrong and is just not going to happen.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
3,440 Posts
If thats true i am not surprised, Norinco are quick to jump on an opertunity. I have had the use of a norinco 1887 that had a slick up job done on it and could not fault it. The Aussie copy as far as i know was a big flopp, The same as the copy of the Colt Lightning we tried to make. I have a norinco JW23 Brno copy .22mag. and after a little trigger mod. is a spot on shooter. I would also love to support local made stuff but its got beyond a joke. Such is life. chester.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my comments in the end were to reiterate what NOBODY wants to hear, or they choose to ignore. american products ceasing to be made here but made overseas.

I wish Reagan was alive and President again. He would straighten this crock of crap up in a minute. First he would have never allowed NAFTA like Clinton did. Second, he would NEVER have allowed these U.S. firms to sell out Americans for quicker profits from cheap labor and product from China, etc. Anyone know how big there military is now? Nuclear sub count?

Too bad for our kids.

Enough said.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Winchester is now owned by Browning.
all the high end M-70's and 1886 leverguns are made in japan not china.

there are NO plans to start production of any low-end lever guns.

On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. Browning, based in Morgan, Utah, and the former licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Company, are both subsidiaries of FN Herstal.

hope this helps.

Dave

·
Registered
413 Posts
Winchester is now owned by Browning.
all the high end M-70's and 1886 leverguns are made in japan not china.

there are NO plans to start production of any low-end lever guns.

On August 15, 2006, Olin Corporation, owner of the Winchester trademarks, announced that it had entered into a new license agreement with Browning to make Winchester brand rifles and shotguns, though not at the closed Winchester plant in New Haven. Browning, based in Morgan, Utah, and the former licensee, U.S. Repeating Arms Company, are both subsidiaries of FN Herstal.

hope this helps.

Dave
Oh, thanks for the update on that, ssmandavid. Knowing the guns are made in Japan is a little better, but........

I lived in Japan for a few years, and while I really like both the country and the citizens, I can't see buying a Japanese copy of historic American firearms, either.

I also think that's a pretty strange place to make them, given what I remember about Japanese gun laws. Even most of the police weren't allowed to carry firearms. While there, I never met any Japanese civilians who were allowed to possess them, and one of the things my Japanese friends and acquaintances were always curious (and envious about) was the ease with which Americans can own firearms.

When I get the opportunity now, I invite Japanese nationals to go target shooting, especially if they are here as tourists. That can certainly give them memories of a lifetime. The Japanese were always very nice to me when I lived there, whether I knew them or not. I enjoy paying back the favors, even if it is a rather random way of doing it.

Regards,
Annie

·
Administrator
17,694 Posts
Annie, I think the next time I buy a gun I'll have to raise a cup of warm Saki and drink to America and the second amendment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Up here in Canada, these pre -'64 carbines sell for upwards of $400...depending on condition. The asking price differs only slightly from the selling. Not many stay on the board for any length of time. I have noticed that a lot of the "lower 50" buyers are taking an awful lot back south.. That may be why the shortage here and driving the prices up. Since winchester has shut down manufacturing, there seems to be a rush on to "gobble" up as many "cheap " guns as a person can afford and wait til no more are circulating , then the real demand is on. BIG prices and well worn guns....My first of my 6 carbines, I found in a pawn shop about 15 years ago and paid $75.00....the same gun now , I have been offered over $600. I do not sell any , I shoot 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts