Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a 93 mauser that was made in 1894 by lowe berlin for the spanish military, its a fascinating little rifle and very well made far better than most mausers i see, its got a tighter action and looks better made than my spanish ones and the rifling looks brand new in it. the problem is someone cut the wood down to make a hunting rifle and the barrel has been shortened down to the exact length of a crbine but it has the long rifle rear sights, if the militry didnt do it whoever did did a very good job, they just didnt leave any room to put a bayonet on. so now i gotta figure out what to do to make this look like a military rifle that faced the krag in the spanish american war.

Attachments

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
Alright, we have the first Photo, of a "sporter" M93, with shortened barrel...what is the barrel length (Muzzle to face of Bolt?)

Second photo, Front sight...not properly set up for either Carbine or "Short Rifle" therefore must be a "Bubba" job.

Thirdly, second rifle with stock cut-out a-la-Carcano or Polish karabinek 98 or Wz29... is the stock a remade M41 Carcano stock or a remodeled Karabin/Wz stock?

Original M93 and 95 Carbines/1916 Short rifles have a plate rear sling bar, held in place by the lower Buttplate screw (very long) and their rear sights are either Short M93 Carbine type, or M1902-Patent Tangent type for the M1916 ( and the rare Lange type small M16 as well)

Fourthly, the rear sight is definitely a Long rifle (M93) rear sight (look to see if there are similar Loewe Inspection marks on it? (to the rifle).

Just one point, never photograph rifles with the mechanism cocked, ready to fire...give a bad impression.

Nice rifle, in any case; Restoration would be a moot point, or could be configured as a SCW rebuild ( Possible) Short rifle.

But it is not an "original"...more a "could have been?" In anycase, if it is a good shooter ( 175grain round nose 7mm) use it as such..sufficient for most North American Deer, even with iron sights.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Gold Bullet member
248 Posts
Hi Doc! Don't want to hijack the thread but that second rifle might very well have been manufactured / rebuilt with the stock cut out and 'french style' sling bar by the Spanish. I have a Guardia Civil M1916 that has the same setup (believe this one was reworked after WW2 for Guardia Civil use). Here are some pics...
Cheers
Bernd

·
Administrator
10,117 Posts
If the Stock fitting is original, and maybe a Post war refurb, could it be a "take-off" from a stripped Carcano or SEPEWE (Polish) Mauser?

I suppose a direct comparison of sling bars from the two rifle types mentioned against the "Spanish" one would be helpfull ( Toolmarks, and any inspection marks)?

The Italian "Volunteers" to Franco's Forces left behind most of their rifles and carbines in 1938-39.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I, also have a model 1916 stock with the Polish-style cross-bar for the rear sling attachment, just like bernd's...

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
22,933 Posts
I have seen quite a few M1916 over the years with the crossbar style sling attachment, and probably have 3 or 4 of them in my collection right now. I figured it was a later arsenal refit when the Air Force M44 was in production, and they just "borrowed" from the M44.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.