Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
It's an Eddystone stock, correct? The 2U behind the trigger assembly is a stock inspection mark. The mark forward of the trigger assembly that has a "C" underneath is a government inspection mark. The mark is actually an eagle head over "C". You can just see the bottom part of the eagle head there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Post pictures of the full rifle please , would like to see the whole thing !! Got one myself and love it . Trigger a tad heavy but if your easy on your trigger pull it shoots better then the shooter can . Great history with them .

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Post pictures of the full rifle please , would like to see the whole thing !! Got one myself and love it . Trigger a tad heavy but if your easy on your trigger pull it shoots better then the shooter can . Great history with them .
It's only the stock. I got a good deal on a bunch of milsurp stocks at the show the other day. Maybe one day I'll come across the mythical horde of scabbards and un-cracked hand guards.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an Eddystone stock, correct? The 2U behind the trigger assembly is a stock inspection mark. The mark forward of the trigger assembly that has a "C" underneath is a government inspection mark. The mark is actually an eagle head over "C". You can just see the bottom part of the eagle head there.
Thank you. I was curious as to why these were the only marks on the stock. No "P" or inspector stamps to be found. Looks like they were never applied. Unissued?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If I remember correctly they did not do a proof P on the 1917 stocks. They also will not have cartouches like a 1903 or M1. I can't remember what other, if any, factory inspection marks were done on the stock. There may have been a different marking somewhere maybe on the fore end for WRA, vs Remington or Eddystone I just don't remember. Usually if you see stamps other than the eagle and C anywhere mear the reciever area on a 1917 they are rebuild stamps. I am no expert, there is a neat and very affordable book on the 1917 by C.S. Ferris that is easy to find online if you want to learn more on the markings. What's the barrel date and manufacture?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
You are correct in that they did not use the usual "P" proof mark and cartouche on Model 1917 stocks. The final inspection mark is thought to be the eagle head stamp that is located aft of the trigger assembly (not the eagle head stamp in front of the trigger assembly).

Each manufacturer placed a letter (E for Eddystone, R for Remington, and W for Winchester) on the tip of the stock. That is one way to tell which maker's stock it is. The shape of the bolt recess cut-out is another way to tell whose stock it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.