Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pretty sure that they were produced by the Poles, but then again, I could be wrong- mine is marked several times with polish eagle- Z markings of the arsenal of assembly.
JMG

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The rifle barrels were remanufactured in Poland. They are cut down, turned, rebored and rechambered 7.62x54r barrels. Compare them to the .30-06 Bannerman commercial conversions and you will see the similarities.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rifle barrels were remanufactured in Poland. They are cut down, turned, rebored and rechambered 7.62x54r barrels. Compare them to the Bannerman commercial conversions to .30-06 and you will see the similarities.
Interesting. Seems like a lot of work. In fact, the whole rifle seems like a lot of work, just to get something that would take an 8mm round. One would think there would have been plenty of "real" Mausers going begging in the wake of WW1.

·
Administrator
19,288 Posts
Thats why they stopped making them 3 years in.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats why they stopped making them 3 years in.
Still, they are interesting.

I recall reading some place or other that the Poles used a special low pressure load in them, but, I've never seen any specifics for such a round. Was there any need for such a thing? It seems to me that even the original 7.62x54R can generate some reasonably high pressures, depending on the specific loading. The 8mm would, I would think, have to be backed off quite a bit to make any real difference, if there was a concern over the ability of the action to handle the pressure. And a separate load just for this rifle would seem to complicate ammo supply. Any information on this?

Also, does anybody know what the correct sling would be? There are plenty of German, Finn, Russian, and other slings around, but I can't recall ever seeing one specifically identified as Polish. But then, I'm by no means a sling expert.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I recall reading some place or other that the Poles used a special low pressure load in them, but, I've never seen any specifics for such a round.
Also, does anybody know what the correct sling would be? There are plenty of German, Finn, Russian, and other slings around, but I can't recall ever seeing one specifically identified as Polish. But then, I'm by no means a sling expert.

The rifles used the regular 8mm Polish service round, per contributor KH Wrobel.
The sling for this rifle would be anything the Poles had available, probably leather WW1 version of the MN sling.
The concept of this rifle was to standardize the ammo supply after the long years of the war with the Soviets, etc. It replaced other rifles in service, like the obr 1891 dragoon, and the AH M90 and 95. It was primarily issued to horse artillery units. The rifle was manufactured before the Polish Mauser factories(Zbrojownia Nr. 2/Radom) were in full operation-after which, as the Wz 29 (?) Mauser became available, the 91/98/25 et al, was relegated to second line and reserve status.
FWIW, this is the slickest MN action you will ever operate. That rimless round functions perfectly in the MN magazine, smooth loading, feeding and ejection.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That stands to reason about the ammunition being the standard service round.

You're right about it being a slick action. It feeds and ejects as smooth as silk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts