Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,487 Posts
Looks like you have already been peeking!

If I had a wrapped Mosin and was new to collecting, I would probably take lots of photos and unwrap it.

Now that I've been collecting for a while (and already have a 91/59), I would just keep it wrapped.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'm going to make a vid for you guys of it being unwrapped. Don't see many of those on youtube.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much do you guys think it could sell for on gunbroker? I have never sold there, and don't have a c&r. It's a 1943. I am tempted to open it. Yes, I know, someday I will kick myself for it, but I believe rifles should be enjoyed, and not just hidden away. There is also the possibility of moisture under the wraps, and the fact that it would just get worst over time. I bought it to open, now it's tearing me apart :eek:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Might this help solve the mystery of where the 91/59's came from?

I would open it, I mean, it's still a refurb, not like it's a genuine wartime No.4 Enfiield still in the arsenal wrap.............would rather have a $200 shooter I can enjoy than a $300 rifle sitting in my collection wrapped in paper. All the common refurbs are "unfired-unissued after refurb" so it's not like anyone (including myself) are worried about shooting the "new" refurbs!

There's a "refurb in wrap" MAS 36 at my local store, wouldn't buy it because I already have a MAS 36 that WAS in the wrap, but the importers just opened them up. I have no need and see no value in refurbs wrapped in refurb paper. It would be like me buying a new Steyr bolt action rifle and keeping it NIB in the corner of my collection.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might this help solve the mystery of where the 91/59's came from?

I would open it, I mean, it's still a refurb, not like it's a genuine wartime No.4 Enfiield still in the arsenal wrap.............would rather have a $200 shooter I can enjoy than a $300 rifle sitting in my collection wrapped in paper. All the common refurbs are "unfired-unissued after refurb" so it's not like anyone (including myself) are worried about shooting the "new" refurbs!

There's a "refurb in wrap" MAS 36 at my local store, wouldn't buy it because I already have a MAS 36 that WAS in the wrap, but the importers just opened them up. I have no need and see no value in refurbs wrapped in refurb paper. It would be like me buying a new Steyr bolt action rifle and keeping it NIB in the corner of my collection.

This was kinda my thought. If I got it for 200bux, and in 10 or 20 years, it's worth 500, I would make a 300 dollar profit, which is money, but could be made in less than a week, and I could have fun with the rifle too.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I collect and shoot Mosins for fun, I have nothing that really qualifies as "investment grade" and I doubt any of us will live long enough to see a huge profit from the sale of a Mosin unless you've got some rare Finn thing or something collectible, which I don't bother with such things.

I always use the anology, when people ask me if they should buy some 91/30 refurbs to "put away" for an "investment", I tell them I was able to buy an 1866 50/70 Springfield trapdoor rifle, of which I believe only about 18,000 or so were ever produced, I know the number is low. I was able to get a solid "shooter" grade piece for $1,200, and this is a USGI rifle of which maybe a few thousand (maybe?) exist on earth today. So, considering that there were several millions of Mosins produced, I doubt the $120 refurb we buy today will be worth much more than "face value" as a shooter in any amount of time, given that the Trapdoor I bought is a full 80 years older than the 1940's Mosins, and FAR fewer were made, and I was still able to get an 1866 for an affordable price. It's not like the guy I bought the '66 from was able to retire on what he made from the sale.

·
Silver Bullet member
998 Posts
save it, you can always open it later. I would save it for my son, they will be really rare when he gets it, a real treat for him.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,541 Posts
Whats with that short trigger? Is that a "chinese trigger"?
I think one of my 91/59s also has a short trigger. Perhaps Vlad got a bit keen with the grinder while cleaning the rust.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Life on this beautiful earth is like dust in the wind. Might as well enjoy it or someone else will. All my rifles get shot and taken cared well. And my kids get to shoot them as well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Die Hard Collectors, Take Aim........Fire! Ya, I unwrapped it. I will regret it someday, but guns are for shooting, and this beauty wants to be seen and heard. As I said, I made a vid, and am waiting for youtube to upload. Vid and pics later.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Over in the British forums we've discussed to death the question of leaving a new rifle in the wrap as it pertained to the new No4 MKIIs still floating about on the market. While it's tempting to leave it as is know this; no preservative system is permanent. Sooner or later moisture is going to get to that new rifle under all that wrapping. Only you'll never see what's going on "under wraps".

Reactions: Gosha

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,602 Posts
Over in the British forums we've discussed to death the question of leaving a new rifle in the wrap as it pertained to the new No4 MKIIs still floating about on the market. While it's tempting to leave it as is know this; no preservative system is permanent. Sooner or later moisture is going to get to that new rifle under all that wrapping. Only you'll never see what's going on "under wraps".
Judging by the little spot of rust I see on that trigger the above quote is good advice.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Preservatives are chemical compounds that are chemically active. Leaving it in the wrap can be risky. Chemicals in the preservative can through reaction eat away not only at wooden components but also metal surfaces. Unwrap, clean, and enjoy.

·
Registered
19,637 Posts
It is your rifle. You live but once. Go enjoy it . Better yet: melt the barrel on the range.

If you want to flip it: then do so. If you want to keep it: enjoy it in your lifetime. Do not save it for someone elses lifetime when you are far gone.

Be assured: the guy who gets it in the wrap 50 yrs from now won't care that you were so thoughtful: he will shoot the barrel out.

Go for it. Live life.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,668 Posts
Do you see any refurb markings?

·
Registered
675 Posts
If you are just looking for a shooter than you can always trade it to someone who would like it as is and you could make some money on the trade too. Is it a rare jem, no but in the years to come after everyone else decides to just unwrap theirs it will be more rare to a collector. In the end it is yours to enjoy as you wish but remember once it is done it is done.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts