Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In the same box as my buggered M39 came a 1937 dated Tula 91/59. Inspection of this carbine raises a few questions.

1) I cannot find an import mark above the woodline. I am reluctant to disassemble the gun as the bands seem tight and I am nervous of shaving away chunks of the finish. Were some importers in the habit of putting their mark blow the wood?

2) Can I assume that the six digit serial number was put on after conversion.

3) The serial number also appears on the receiver. Is this original or done by the importer?

4) My carbine has a large step where the cutdown stock ends at the rear band. My 1942 Izhevsk also has a step, but not nearly so large. Is this just an indication of the variations in the original stocks?

5) The stock has a full pressed in rear sling escutcheon combined with a half escutcheon in the front slot. Is there any significane in this configuration?

6) The outside of the receiver has seen a lot of attention and was very highly polished before it was blued. All the edges and contours have that melted look that you see on custom carry Kimbers. Is this normal, or was Vlad bored at his belt sander that day?

Later, I shall post some pictures showing the honey coloured stock and the very clean toe splice.

Update: see pictures, below.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,535 Posts
1) Did you check the underside of the barrel just behind the muzzle? Century used to mark them there, so did a few other importers.
5) Doubt it means anything. Does the wood around the front slot show any sign that the escutcheon was ever there? It might have fallen out in use, or somebody ran out of ready pieces just as that particular stock came by during refurb.
6) I've got a '46 M44 refurb that looks like it was mirror polished like yours. My guess is that Ivan finally got his requisition approved and was just enjoying that "brand new belt with real grit for the belt-sander" feeling that we all know and love.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
7,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, Avenger

I looked again at the underside of the barrel and there is some inconsistency in the finish if you look very carefully. Whether this is an indication that a former owner ground out the import mark and then reblued the area I cannot say. If it was ground out, it was very smoothly done.

Here are some pictures.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts