Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to pick up a carbine sized MN and can't decide which one? Are there any more desirable or less desirable (I am not looking for desirable in that I mean extremely collectible). I am looking for a shooter. Something to play with at the range with my 91/30 Izzy. Which one first? I see they are all available at various distributors as C&R so is it just a matter of how much I can spend right now? I'm leaning toward a M38 but always thought the 91/59 was more desirable. Then I hear lots of guys talking about their M44s...I just don't know...HELP!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
91/59s will generally be in much better condition, bore-wise, thean the other two models. The ones I have are very good shooters, but have some M-44s that shoot very well, too. The 91/59 has no "war history" behind it, really, other than it was once a 91/30.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,457 Posts
If you're looking for a shooter, decide based on condition. I have some of all of the above, and would place my M-38 ahead of the others in like bore condition. Even though my 38 is counterbored, the bore looks brand new, and it is every bit as accurate as an arsenal refurb M-44 with a brand new barrel.

Is this something you will be able to inspect beforehand, or is it a crapshoot buy from a distributor, where you will need to rely on their judgement?

If viewable beforehand, go for the 91/59. Otherwise, consider checking into what Allen's Armory or Empire arms has on hand. Erik at AIM can be helpful, too.

Otherwise, get all 3 (you WILL someday anyway), and spend some time at the range determining which is most accurate & ammo each of them prefers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an M38 and M44. Of the two, I would probably lean towards the M44, but only because I believe that M44 has slightly more weight (with the bayo) and therefore would have a bit less recoil. I don't have an M59, even though I have made attempts to get one. If I had one, I suspect I would lean towards the M59 between the three.

LD

·
Mr. Flashy Pants
7,377 Posts
As a collector the M38 is more desirable than an M19/59, or even an M44 for that matter. M38s are also cheaper and getting tougher to find. However, a lot of shooters swear by the M91/59s and they are a good price right now and will likely dry up before the M38s do. I would put the M44 at the end of the list as they are more likely to be around for a while than either the M38 or M91/59 and prices aren't as likely to creep up as they have with the others.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I would pick the 91/59 as my carbine of choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I suggest that you eventually accumulate one of each, and make up your own mind.

M44's will probably be available for a while, and are relatively inexpensive.
M38's are less common than M44's, and are priced a little higher. No bayo to get in the way.
M91/59's are least common, but have no war history. No bayo either.

You can have all three for less than $400.

If I were going to go for all three, I'd get a M91/59 while they're available, follow it with a M38, and pick up the M44 later.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Even though both M38s and 91/59s are rarer and will probably appreciate first, I have a particular fondness for the M44, and my quest is to find a Russian M44 as close to unissued as possible (I already have an unissued Polish M44).

If I ever see a nice enough M38 at the right price, I'll probably get one. But in the meantime, I seem to be one of the few who actually likes the attached bayonet of the M44. And with a good bore and proper adjustment of the sights, they shoot well, too.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,792 Posts
What Ted said. I wish I had more M38s, anyway.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have all three, the m38 and m59 are both great shooters and I like them better than the M44. Of the three the m59 is the best accuracy wise with open sights. I have two m38's and I put a Darrells's Scout Mount on one w/NC pistol scope. Now that is a shooter bar none, if I was still a deer hunter it would be my rifle of choice. Before I get slammed the rifle was not harmed and can be returned to original condition in minutes.

To get back on track get a M91/59 first as they are not as common, then a M38 and last a M44 as they are most common. The short Mosins are fun to shoot and don't let anyone scare you about recoil. My 57 yr old shoulder can handle them no problem.

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,191 Posts
You might as well buy all three, as you are going to any way. I know that I did. ;)

If you are looking for a shooter, but the one with the best bore. I suspect that it will be a 91/59. You really can not go wrong.

·
Registered
658 Posts
If price is an issue, get the m38. If you have a few more bucks to spend, get a 91/59. I never liked the m44 as a shooter just due to the extra weight on the front end. Both the m38 and 91/59 balance very well.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,534 Posts
That is interesting what Ted said about the M38's/M44's. I keep feeling like I'm missing the boat on some of the M44's out there, so I hope his statements are true and the supply and prices stay positive for some time.

I don't have a 91/59, but I would also recommend finding a nice M38. Mine is all matching, riding an CCCP cartouched stock, with an OTK stamp that I've not seen before. Certainly a must for the mosin collector, IMO.

T

·
Registered
35 Posts
I guess I agree with most here, you will likely end up with all three at some point!

That said, I would go with the M38 or M91/59 first. For a while you couldn't find any M91/59's at all. Lately I have seen them at AIM, Allans Armory, and even Big 5. If it were me, I would go with the M91/59 first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts