Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Test today, 91/59 carbine with iron sights and shot from Lead Sled at 300m.:

Mosin 91/59 carbine with Pole ball LPS results: one group 7 inches, one group 5 inches

Pole LPS shot 8 to 10 inches out of my PU sniper at 300m last weekend and the rifle
hates it. Out of the snubby 91/59 it lands 5 inches with iron sights. Bore on this carbine
is frosty, and has tight muzzle. Just goes to show LPS is hot or cold for accuracy depending on the rifle. THe rear slider was on 300 and sure enough, it shoots point of aim at 300m.

Now I am wondering...what would that Mosin 91/59 carbine do at 300 or 600 meters shooting my 762x54R sniper match loads ?

·
Gold Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Test today, 91/59 carbine with iron sights and shot from Lead Sled at 300m.:

Mosin 91/59 carbine with Pole ball LPS results: one group 7 inches, one group 5 inches

Pole LPS shot 8 to 10 inches out of my PU sniper at 300m last weekend and the rifle
hates it. Out of the snubby 91/59 it lands 5 inches with iron sights. Bore on this carbine
is frosty, and has tight muzzle. Just goes to show LPS is hot or cold for accuracy depending on the rifle. THe rear slider was on 300 and sure enough, it shoots point of aim at 300m.

Now I am wondering...what would that Mosin 91/59 carbine do at 300 or 600 meters shooting my 762x54R sniper match loads ?
I picked up a 91/59 a few months ago, and haven't gotten around to trying it out yet-need to do that. They have a reputation as good shooters, and it sounds like yours is no exception.

It'd probably be spectacular with handloads, but it wouldn't surprise me if the optimum load for the 91/59 ended up being significantly different from a good load for the PU.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Probably about 5 inches at 300 with your sniper load, too, and maybe 12-15 inches at 600 (if you can still see the target with iron sights!) is my guess.
I don't think you can really improve on that 5 inches much with any ammo and iron sights.
If you are still using Varget as your sniper handload,, that medium speed powder might lose maybe 200 fps for the shorter barrel so a somewhat lower POI at longer range.

Great shooting, incidently, even from the lead sled.

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In todays age of black rifles and pillar bedded , Night Force scope laden crew serve weapon size bolt action rifles on firing lines, there is no shortage of folks that will say "You can't do that"

We shall see what a 91/59 can do at 600 yds with match grade ammo. Never say Never.

I think the 91/59 gains a lot of accuracy because it does not have that bayonet assembly like a M44 which fouls up barrel harmonics

300 meters, NRA 18 inch 300 yd bullseye, suspect Pole LPS ammo, iron sights and 5 inch group ?
Maybe a bit more respect for Mosin carbines is in order around here ! They are indeed relevant at 300 meters !

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's oft been assumed that a longer barrel = better accuracy...not true in and of itself. A longer barrel is easier to shoot well b/c of the longer sight radius and SHOULD maintain velocity better which translates to a longer flight path with less drop, but as to whether the barrel itself is more accurate has a lot to do with rigidity and harmonics, neither of which work well for the pencil-thin light barrel contour on your typical 91/30. Lopping off 9+" of thin, whippy barrel, recrowning, and improving rigidity can't help but improve accuracy, even at the potential expense of trajectory @ longer ranges. Any pics of the rifle?

·
Registered
19,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I shot at 600 yds yesterday with this rifle with same LPS and Heavy ball as my 300m test last week.

Those interested in the results, pls contact me via message or email .

With 228 reviews and only 3 members interested in accuracy, there is no need to further discuss accuracy . This is a plain jane 91/59 and as collector standards go: nothing interesting.

Shooters standards ...well, different story

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
It it makes you feel any better, I am damn impressed with your accuracy at 300 M. However, I plink rather than shoot, I don't reload, and have never shot long range, so I have little to add to a long-range topic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.