Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I rather randomly purchased this rifle from a deceased estate and am hoping to get a bit of assistance taking it apart before I break something. But first a bit of a description of the rifle:
1941 built model 91/38 carcano short rifle.
Serial is BK5738 which checks out as a 1941 build from Terni as stamped.
The stock has been restamped to match the action. I can only imagine this was done at an armoury otherwise why bother.
There was no attached bayonet but a 3 piece cleaning rod was in the buttstock. Each piece has a different size eyelet.
The rifle came with both an assembled straight handle bolt and a spare turned down bolt body. I might swap the internals to the turned down bolt but not sure how to remove the extractor. Seems a bit delicate.

Condition wise the bore appears mirror perfect with as good as new rifling. Maybe it shot 5 metres high so no one ever used it...There are a few dings in the wood but no cracks and hasn't been oiled to death over the years. There's a little surface rust here and there, and cosmoline everywhere, which brings me to my issue - disassembly.

I can take out all the screws but nothing moves at all. There must be a technique to removing the front barrel band. Does it slide off with the forend? Everything seems firmly in place. The magazine is not going anyway. The action doesn't even jiggle. Perhaps I need to melt the cosmoline a bit first?

Anyway, here's a few pics. Any assistance would be appreciated. Great forum this one. I'm definitely more of black rifle guy but I'm getting more sentimental with age.

Wood Hardwood Tan Lumber Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Tan Shotgun Lumber
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Grey Tan
Wood Hardwood Wood stain Tan Plywood
Wood Hardwood Iron Metal Wood stain
Wood Hardwood Metal Wood stain Iron

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The band in photo 3 moves as a unit with the hand guard. Put the muzzle down on a floor with something under. Apply pressure on the hand guard and tap the band. The grab the band and tap a bit more. Eventually you will get a smidgen of movement, them grab the opposite end of where the band moved and tap more. First time can be a royal pain, because you dont want to damage the wood. I am not aware of any "easy trick". Patience is the key.

I would not install the bent bolt. The previous owner may have been planning a scope mount. These days, original guns are king.

Parting thought, on my 91/38TS, I removed that band and hand guard before I took out the action screws. I dont know if it matters, it never occurred to me to take them all out at once. Maybe put those two big screws back.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
I stand corrected on the bolt. Yes, by all means swap that out.

Now we know the bent bolt is correct, be careful that bolt was not removed for some headspace or excessive wear issue.

Sometimes extractors R&R can be tricky. No idea on Carcano. That might be a good bit to purchase. Perhaps, some one more experienced will comment on that idea.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
8,081 Posts
I agree buy the book; The Model 1891 Carcano Rifle: A Detailed Developmental and Production History written by Giovanni Chegia, Alberto Simonelli and Ralph Riccio or go visit the website ... www.il91.it ... which is maintained by both Giovanni Chegia and Alberto Simonelli to see what models had what features on them, what the different modifications done to those models over the years and the nomenclature on them.

Patrick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll just track down another bolt with the extractor rather than mess around with dove tailing one to fit. The straight bolt runs nice and smooth (for a carcano) so it's good enough for now.

It was 38 degrees C here yesterday. I should have just left the rifle outside for a few minutes to soften the cosmoline. Oh well I'll try a hair dryer.

I was surprised to find 6.5x52 ammo was cheap and sitting on the shelf in my LGS. So I grabbed 200 rounds. $22 per box for PPU which is quite a bit cheaper than even 223 ammo I shoot here in Oz.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
To change the extractor. You must lift it up past the retaining nub and slide it out. A small screw driver works well. Just be careful it could snap off. It's not really a hard thing to do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.