Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I purchased a ex-sniper rifle that had a shortened stock as an arsenal repair. Did not notice it until I got it home and looked more closely. Since then I have obtained two more ex-snipers with the same repair. The stock is shortened by an inch or so. The upper barrel guard is shortened as well. One of the rifles is a PEM and has a uncommon crossbolt repair as well.

The top three stocks are shortened and the bottom one is standard. The distance from the front barrel band retainer spring to the end of the stock is a give-away to the repair.

Normal upper barrel guard vs shortened.

Closer look at repair.

Crossbolt repair on 1942 Izhevsk PEM rifle.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,736 Posts
Interesting. I never thought to look. Though it's pretty plain that the very end of these stocks were damaged pretty regularly, as repairs on either side of the end of the stock are common.

Also, I wouldn't say that the fact that the rifles are ex-snipers has any bearing on the stock repairs or configuration.

·
Silver Bullet Member
7,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I never thought to look. Though it's pretty plain that the very end of these stocks were damaged pretty regularly, as repairs on either side of the end of the stock are common.

Also, I wouldn't say that the fact that the rifles are ex-snipers has any bearing on the stock repairs or configuration.

I agree that the ex-sniper connection is likely a fluke but mentioned it because of all the 91/30'sI've owned or noted these were the common denominator. There certainly were a lot of reapirs to the nose of the 91/30 stocks of various types and you do not seem to find it on the M38 or M44 rifles.

·
Silver Bullet member
865 Posts
They may have been shortened to facilitate Bayo-removal? sorta reverse engineering maybe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts