Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 43 Tula 91/30 a while back. It is a Samco import and looks to have come out of Yugoslavia. It came with PU bolt in it and a great trigger along with a nice shiny bore. I had high hopes for the rifle and finally got a chance to shoot it for the first time today.

Unfortunately it shoots about 15 to 20 inches to the right at 85yds. Action screws are tight so we attempted to drift the front sight to bring it back to center. A slight drift had little effect and when we attempted to drift more the front site got loose and came out.

I have never had a 91/30 shoot that far left or right at that distance. Any ideas on how to fix the problem? Its a standard 91/30 front site. I know I can peen it in place after moving it to the right but it has to be moved too far and looks horrible. Anyone else run into this problem?

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
May not be sure on this but you could have a bent barrel. Take the barreled action out of the stock and lay it on a table as if it were in a stock. If you have a 3' ruler or any long straight edge lay it alongside the barreled action. Crude yes, but should show you weather the barrel is bent and in which direction. The bend should be closer to the ruler. Or it could be as simple as a front sight that was properly installed. Frank

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I will check for all those things. I had thought about a possible bent barrel; will get it out of the stock and look it over good.

PA

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Clean the bore real well. Lightly oil. Place a black sheet and a white sheet of paper next to each other about 20 ft away. Illuminate the papers. Place your rifle with bolt removed on sandbags or a rest. Bore sight the black/white line between the sheets. Move your head up until you see a line down the bottom of the bore. It should be continuous from muzzle to breech. There will be a break in the line if it is bent. The break will be at the point of the bend. This is called the shadow line test.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 91/30 that does the same thing at 100yds. I have to move the front sight so far to the right the bayonet wont fit on and still shooting about 3-4" to the right. Barrel is straight no warp in wood. I think the rear sight notch was cut wrong or the sight was replaced in a re-arsenal. One of these days when I get a chance I'm going to fill the notch and recut it to get it closer to center.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Check to see that the front and rear sight bases are not leaning to one side or the other. I've come across that before and it requires drifting the sight blade in the opposite direction quite a way to compensate.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all for the additional info. It appears to me as though the barrel may be bent slightly. I will try the suggested tests above to try to verify this. Also the rear sight base seems to be mounted a hair further to the right side of the barrel. The edge over hangs more on the right than the left.

PA

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
Old time method to check bore straightness. Point the barrel out the window towards the sun (may need sun glasses but its 1890 so we don't care if you get cataracts) (Or use a strong point light at some distance instead - in 2017)
Hold a straight edge, like a razor blade, sideways across the midline of the muzzle. Rotate the barrel while holding the straightedge in place to check straightness all around the bore. Mark with chalk where the shadow appears to bend.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm a smith that specializes in these...I've worked on hundreds of them.
Likely, it's not a "bent" barrel, but could be that the bore is waaay out of being concentric to the OD of the barrel.
When I turn these in the lathe to thread for a brake, I'll sometimes cut more than 20 thou off one side of the barrel before the cutter even touches the opposite side. They can be mol centered in one axis, but far off in the other. They'll whip like a spaghetti noodles between centers in the lathe. By contrast, Finn barrels (and in fairness, many earlier pre-war -particularly Tula manuf. in my experience- are fairly true.

This is far more common on wartime production rifles. Some are so rough, you can see every machining ring from turning the barrel, and they're actually "lumpy"- feeling like bulged bores- from being machined too quickly.
Picture a straight barrel, but a bore/chamber that starts mol concentric, but the bore itself runs "out" to the side (in your case, to the right when the barrel was torqued to the receiver).

If this is the case, and there's not enough windage adjustment on the front sight not much more you can do with the front sight. I've seen a replacement rear aperture sight but I dont believe it is adjustable for windage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.