Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1937 91/30 is shooting a little high at 100m at its lowest rear sight setting. Is there an easy fix or do i need to source a taller post? If so is there anybody online selling them and willing to post to the UK. Thanks. Dale

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
You can get a new front sight with a taller post, or simply replace the post in your existing front sight. The post is replaceable, just remove the front sight from the rifle, and use a pin punch to knock out the post; replace it with a longer one, which is nothing more than the appropriate sized nail or stiff wire. you will have to guess on the correct length of the new post but a slightly too-long post can be compensated for by raising the rear sight.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,097 Posts
It is normal for an standard infantry Mosin rifle to shoot a little high at 100m. 6.7 inches high to be exact. This is how they were set up. There is a permanent fix to set it up for point of aim shooting but it is too terrible to discuss here.

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
there a couple more methods that don't involve removing the front sight post, that I would do first.

one, is to go to a hobby place, and get hollow alum or brass tube that you can fit over the front sight post and secure it, and file on that to get your POA to POI.

another way that someone mentioned in a earlier thread, is adjusting the tention on the screws that hold the barrel in the stock. Suposedly it's from a translation of the Soviet manual, although I myself don't know how that is done. maybe someone can chime in on this method

Just be aware, that your POI is always going to change if you go from one country's ammo to the next, or different weights, or different years, different manufaturers etc..

54r ammo, like all ammo, is going to give you different ballistics characterics from one to another. So what you adjust for the ammo you have now , will change with a different 54r ammo. All ammo is not made equal, there is going to be varitions among all of them

But to put it bluntly, these rifles were used to impact a man, so if you put a man size silouette target out at 100 yards, and the rounds hit anywhere in that silouette, then it's zeroed :D

·
Gold Bullet member
4,816 Posts
I use the electrical wire insulation to resolve my problems of rifles shooting high. Simple, effective and cheap...

·
Diamond w/Oak Clusters and Swords Bullet Member
None of your business.
17,532 Posts
Move your target to 200m.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys thanks for the answers, the wire insulation is a good idea, im gonna handload for it so once i find something that groups well ill adjust front post to that and line up poa with sight settings and leave well alone. Thanks for all your help. Dale

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The simple solution is, to mount the beyonette!!!!!!
A m91/30 is supposed to shot high right withoput the bayonette attached.

I have a 1917 m/91, finnish Civil Guard issued, that shoots high right without the bayo, with bayo it is right on the money :)))))))

·
Silver Bullet member
974 Posts
Aim low twice...pull trigger once.... Anyhow, I keep notes on the performance of different ammo used in a perticular rifle to be some what ready for range time..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The simple solution is, to mount the beyonette!!!!!!
A m91/30 is supposed to shot high right withoput the bayonette attached.

I have a 1917 m/91, finnish Civil Guard issued, that shoots high right without the bayo, with bayo it is right on the money :)))))))
My club shoots at an army range, the range officers will have kittens if i turn up with a mosie and bayonet attached lol Dale

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hm, strange, no bayos on a army range??????
What army???????

·
Copper Bullet member
2,518 Posts
It is normal for an standard infantry Mosin rifle to shoot a little high at 100m. 6.7 inches high to be exact.
Very typical of most military rifles, so the troops could simply aim center of mass at most typical engagement ranges - say, out to a few hundred yards - and hit a man sized target without always having to fiddle with the sights.

Battle sight range on a US Model 1903 rifles was an impressive 547 yards. Which sounds like an odd figure, until you do the math andfind it equals 500 meters. Even then, they were trying to sneak in the metric system!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Well . . .

I file down the bottom of the rear sight slide. Don't have to remove very much to get the rifle to shoot point-of-aim / point of impact.

I know -- I "modified" the rear sight - but can always replace the modified rear sight slide with another one if I have too . . . .

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,097 Posts
Well . . .

I file down the bottom of the rear sight slide. Don't have to remove very much to get the rifle to shoot point-of-aim / point of impact.

I know -- I "modified" the rear sight - but can always replace the modified rear sight slide with another one if I have too . . . .
That was the permanent fix that I said was too terible to discuss.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.