Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 and I have a couple questions about it before I go to fire it. Firstly, the I entirely field stripped the gun and cleaned all the parts religiously of cosmoline, including the stock, so it should be ready to go. My friend is a machinist/die-maker and brought over some 0.015 plastic shim stock which we cut in a circle and placed on the bolt face while chambering a round to act as a field gauge for checking headspace, which it passed. It also chambers a round very well.

My question is, even with a round chambered, should the bolt feel "springy"? With a round chambered and the bolt shut, I can still press down on the bolt handle and make it touch the stock, but when I let off the handle, it comes back up slightly. Is this normal, or something I should be concerned about? As far as I thought, this rifle was numbers matching, but now I don't think it is. On the reciever, it says MH 7 67, spaced just like that. It does not appear to be ground off and it's not struck through. Now, the other parts only say 7 67. Again, it doesn't look like they were ground off, not struck through, not electropenciled, and the stamp font even looks the same. They just don't have the MH on them, which leads me to believe they were restamped, but the stamping of the numbers on the other parts looks extremely identical to the numbers on the receiver, which is why I'm confused.

Anyways, we're going to shoot it today, so if anyone can please respond with some information, that would greatly put me at ease. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't forget to check bolt protrusion, if your Mosin came with one of those handy tools then the notch in the middle (I think) is the proper bolt protrusion. I have bought a few refurbs that had too much or too little protrusion and I had to tighten or loosed the firing pin one turn, also done with the handy tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't forget to check bolt protrusion, if your Mosin came with one of those handy tools then the notch in the middle (I think) is the proper bolt protrusion. I have bought a few refurbs that had too much or too little protrusion and I had to tighten or loosed the firing pin one turn, also done with the handy tool.
Yes, mine came with the tool and we checked it after we reassembled the bolt after cleaning it and the firing pin touches 75, but does not touch 95.

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Good. You don't want it to touch the 95 measurement. Otherwise, you will most probably pierce primers, which is bad.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Sounds like you are ready to go. Bolt sounds typical. The Mosin rifles (and I say this with an affection for them) are not quite the precision you may have found with Mausers and Enfields etc. They are the 'common man's' rifle in my opinion. They are really cool rifles but are a little rough around the edges. As long as the bolt is not opening on it's own you should be good. Some of mine have similar 'play' in them.
Remember to clean very well after you finish at the range!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts