Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1944 Tikka 91/30 in a pot belly stock, overall it's 98% only problem is a scratch on the stock and some compression dents, the bore is excellent, Its an early Century import with the stamp on the barrel by the sight hood. I don't know anything about the scope and mount, so tell me all you can about it. Is this a reproduction or was it put together by the Finns? I especially want to know what its worth, as in what would be a fair price to give for it. All I know about the value of snipers is that AIM has repro Russian ones for $475 right now. I have never seen a Finn sell before in order to get an idea of their value.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,576 Posts
Looks like a nice rifle

SVT/PU scope is the real deal, mount appears to be post war manufacture. Century did put together some PU snipers using Finn capture 91/30s. I don't know that much about them, to say if this could be one of their replicas.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,192 Posts
It's worth is the sum of the parts. I would put it at $600 tops to someone that really wanted it. I personally would only buy it for the scope, mount and base. To me it would only be worth $450 if the base is not a copy. It was put together stateside by Century. The scope and mount look real. Too bad they ruined a 44 round reciever.

·
Premium Member
14,333 Posts
Its a put together, worth the sum of the parts. The Finns never used Tikka 91/30s for snipers. The mount, scope, and base do look real. What happened is that they had all the mounts, but no rifles to put them on, so they used what they had at the time; which were Finn 91/30s.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Amazing info!! I picked [by hand] one of these at CAI back in 1988 or so, those braincells are gone, but I can check my records. Anyway I picked one that had a Finn hang tag. I have sort of been nervous to ask this forum, as in all the books and websites there is no mention of such a beast. Considering the price and how brilliantly it shoots, I am happy. This post seems to have answered a lot.

So it is a CAI put together? The Finns never did this? It seems a good idea, but did they use M39s for snipers with PUs? Or did the Finns ever use PUs after WW2?

Who made the curved sniper bolts for these ... are they Finn, or CAI?

Also, is that ex-Soviet ammo "7?I" stuff that much better than anything else?

THANKS

·
Admin Emeritus
19,073 Posts
Yes CAI put scopes and mounts on guns they had back then and the vast majority were some Finnish 91/30's. They had piles of scopes and mounts and no Russian guns or snipers. They even put these on 39's and 28/30's-horrors I know. They shoot well and are fun but they are fantasy snipers and not original sorry to say. Then after the had made several hundreds of these the gates opened and some original snipers came into the country and thus muddied the waters as to what is real and what is not. There were some small bunches of original Soviet snipers captured by the Finns that came into the country but the numbers are quite small and they would not be Tikka made barrels.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well, if I can't be excited I can at least be guilt free. I always wondered, like used to about Santa Claus, because I never saw a Finn 91/30 sniper on any of the two great websites or books. CAI really did me a lot of favors back in the 80s. I want to say my "sniper" was either $100 or $120.

My only regret about CAI was I had a PTRD-41 in my hands for $150... they said "we have to wait for paperwork to clear, we'll ship it to you." [that was good anyway, as my biathlon coach would have had a fit packing this with our 22s and my four M27s and M28/30s] Well a couple weeks later I got a note and my check saying the PTRDs could not come into the USA from Canada.

PS. on another permenant thread on this forum I found out my PU scope and mount are indeed original

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.