Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, here it is:

Hornady .375 caliber 225 grain Spire Point sized down to fit my HVA M146.

Shot at 2540 fps.

The target photo shows three groups:

No1 Target shows the zero at 100 meters. POI is 2 1/2 inches high. Group size is 1.0625 inch center-to-center of the farthest shots.

Above the eye on the cow elk No2 Target you see another 3-shot group using the eye of the elk as an aiming point. This was one of the groups shot as I was zeroing the gun, left there to show the accuracy of these resized bullets.

In the center of No2 Target you see a 3-shot group fired at 200 yards. That's 200 yards. Group size is 3.875 center-to-center and POI is "ON".

I am very happy with this level of performance with an old outdated cartridge that is still a contender in my book.

I shot my favorite 285 Prvi load to see if I could get a complimentary "Dead On" 100m POI but they shot about 3 inches low.

But not to fret...I have a lot of 270 Speer bullets and I do believe I might be able to work up a load with them in this gun that would allow me a heavy bullet "ON" at 100m with a fast stepping bullet "ON" at 200 yards.

This performance is really quite close to many .35
Whelen loads, and I used the Hornady Trajectory tables to get some idea of what holdover would be out to 300 yards, using my old book and the 200 grain .358 caliber bullet as a guideline. Their tables rarely match my range tests, but they are a help nonetheless. In this case I held the recommended 12" over the 300 meter gong and hit it square.

After working up loads for a new caliber, seems like Finn Aagaard always took the rifle out and blooded it on a deer. Me, this time of year, I'm stuck with varmints...hence the second picture. I won't roll over the squirrel to show you the other side...

I really like this gun and cartridge! :D

·
Registered
289 Posts
Great work Lee..........so tell me, just how much money would I have to invest to resize these bullets. I am already set-up with a RCBS Rock-Chucker press.

Nice shooting.........

Smokepole50

·
Registered
841 Posts
Way to go, LeeSpeed. The 225's certainly do well in your rifle. I bench shot my drawn 225's at 48 yards with iron sights when first testing these modified bullets. They cut a 1" hole for 5 shots, so I'm not surprised with their performance in your rifle. The drawn 300gr. also shot like varmint bullets, but might be heavier than necessary for those columbia ground squirrels.:D
: You didn't mention your load, but mine too gave about 100fps over the 232gr. Norma Vulcans with the same load.
: As you indicated in your mail, working with something out of the ordinary is very rewarding when you get things sorted out.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!!

Yes, this project is coming together.

Smokepole, you need to first measure the groove diameter of your rifle, unless you just want to size to .366 standard. Also, make sure there is enough neck relief to release the sized bullets if oversized.

Then, with that figure in mind, figure sizing {using Lee dies}, of about .003 per step. I'd say you'll need at least two, probably three dies. That means at $25.00 each, you are into the sizing thing for $75.00. This is about $25.00 LESS than a SINGLE CH4D die.

Anyway, $75.00 is about the equivalent of the cost of 75 9.3 bullets from most outfits. Pretty cheap, especially if you want a bullet type/weight that doesn't exist in 9.3 caliber. I do believe these sized bullets shoot a bit better on average than the regular 9.3's I've shot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts