1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Importing the first of old threads (Gunboards, 2nd version):

LeeSpeed started by asking:
Posted - 10/04/2006 : 09:41:13 AM

Was the 6.5x55 case ever used for wildcatting in Sweden?

In particular, I am wondering about why 9mm and 9.3, etc calibers were never developed using that case. Seems like a natural for the 96 action guns.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardrada55
Posted - 10/04/2006 : 12:32:03 PM

Norma made a 8x54 which was a 6.5x55 necked to 8mm. Picture below. And I think the Finns had a 7x54 back before WWII.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LeeSpeed
Posted - 10/04/2006 : 1:26:49 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about the 8x54.

I guess I plumb forgot because the only rifle I've heard that chambered it was a Norsk Krag. Ever seen a 96 so-chambered? Were they pretty common once upon a time?

Great pic by the way, too!

kriggevaer
Posted - 10/04/2006 : 2:47:05 PM

Just a wild guess, but I suspect that Swedish hunters had the 9.3x57 in HVA rifles early on and just didn't see the need to wildcat the 6.5x55. The 8x54 didn't have great ballistics with 196gr bullets and as you noted was mostly a Norwegian used cartridge. Either the 8x57 or the 9.3x57 was a far better performer and being chambered in Mauser actions was capable of handling greater pressures than the K-J actions.

Pettson
Posted - 11/04/2006 : 9:39:39 PM

Yes, I've seen several sporterized m/96's with the original barrels reamed out to take the 8mm Krag round.
Vapendepoted was probably the main source for these rifles. As Norma loaded the round for a while, it must at some stage have been at least a little bit popular.

Carcano
Posted - 06/23/2007 : 12:48:46 PM

I shall answer to the original question by quoting from my (alas, old) edition of Vapenjournalens Ladebok (3rd ed. 1995, page 361 s.):

"9,3x55
Egentlig er ikke dette en eksisterende villkatt, men mer en hypotetisk patron."

Nevertheless, it is possible that some playchildren ;-) made reality from the hypothesis.

kriggevaer
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 12:13:38 AM

I just found this little advertisement in a 1947 Svensk Jakt magazine. What is interesting is the little side note that says the 8x54 is for converted bore mausers. This implies that the 6.5x55 rifles were bored out to 8mm instead of re-barreling. Seems the simplest way of doing the conversion.

sbhva
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 08:55:47 AM

7.9mmx57 means .318 bore correct? It is my understanding that all of the factory 8x57 Husqvarna rifles were the .323 bore. Why would the ad be showing this?

LeeSpeed
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 09:13:36 AM

Steve:

Yes, it is the BORE, not the bullet diameter. You are confusing the two. German "S" 8mm ammo was listed variously as 7.9, 7.92, 7.92x57 etc. In fact, I have never seen a German military document listing what we call the "8mm Mauser" as an "8mm" at all.

7.9/7.92 is the bore diameter in the same way the Brits named the ".318" the ".318" when in fact it takes .330 bullets.

7.92x57 military ammo can be and is loaded with .323" bullets, but you have to be careful, as old German military ammo could be .318, tho it is of long RN configuration.

This issue is why some of us whose past experience with 8mm's was all German stuff wondered what an "8x57" was to the Swedes. Basically as I understand it from reading posts on this forum the Swedes never used the "J" or German "Normal" loading {.318 bullets}, always using the "S" or .323 loading. I wouldn't swear to that, but that is what it seems has come from the discussions here.

Yeah, yeah, I know, "Normal" isn't {at least to us}! Nomenclatures are always so fun aren't they!!

LeeSpeed
Posted - 06/28/2007 : 09:22:01 AM

By the way you guys, thanks for resurrecting this post. Interesting stuff, and Carcano & Kriggie, great bit of archeological and linguistic research, too!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts