Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a source of 8x56R blanks (for re-enacting use in an M95). It has been suggested that 7.62x54R blanks will work--please share your suggestions and opinions.

Thanks,

Devo

·
Gold Bullet Member
2,911 Posts
8x56R has a very loose neck tolerance. Blanks are low powered and some people form 8x56R from 7.62x54R ammo. I would think 7.62x54R blanks would work, or at most you could just run them through a sizing die.

·
8,105 Posts
Devo, the last time I looked, the A-H WWI reenactors were using 7.62X54R blanks. Haven't checked lately though. I'll see if I can find out any more info.

·
Administrator
9,439 Posts
Blanks for 8x56R M95/30 rifles.

If you are using an 8x56R chambered rifle, one can get away with Czech 7,62x54R Long blanks...they are "undersize" all over, and will seat well and fire(they may split in the neck shoulder are, may not.)

If you are using an 8x50R chamber, then Resizing is essential, to shift the shoulder and mouth back, but the length is OK.

As the rim is the operative dimension,,,it is OK for all.

For movies in close up, we mak "proper" brass Blanks (long) from 9,4x74R cases (expensive, but correct profile and colour) and for general Use, we use iether Resized berdan 8x56R cases, or even Pulled Milsurp cases. We even make the 8x50R Blanks from these (the 56R cases); MGs get a new barrel to take 7,62x54R Blanks as is. And since the MGs are belt fed, (pull out type,) even Ball cases can be simply crimped over to make functioning Blanks
(no "profile" required.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics Film Ordnance Services.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Are there any feed problems with the Czech made Mosin blanks in an M95 in 8x56? I had thought these might need resizing at first. I guess this means not?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the replies, they are very helpful.

My M95s are both chambered for 8x56R, so I should be good to go. I found some Czech 7.62x54R blanks for cheap--I'll report back on how they work out.

-Devo

·
Registered
13 Posts
I get my 8x56R from www.atlanticwallblanks.com

Standard .303 long rounds work just fine. The guy that runs it showed me what happens when you use. 7.62x54R.

The short steel cased rounds don't feed well and the full length brass cases fire form to the chamber.

.303 short feed badly but the long rounds feed great. All the WWI guys use these now and the WWII guys that use the weapon are learning not to ever use 7.62x54R with brass cases.

Doc. maybe you should contact them to swap ideas.

Dale.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's my experience--the shorter Czech 7.62x54R blanks are a single-shot proposition, they won't feed from the magazine at all. I used some full-length 7.62x54R blanks with mixed success. They will feed, but not reliably, with the first round of a clip being the most problematic. I also notice a fair number of split necks, but I didn't have any extraction or ejection problems. Next time out, I'm going to try the .303-based blanks.

Thanks for all the input.

-Devo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Short 7.62x54 will feed just fine, if an bridge like adapter is inserted into the magazine chamber.
I'm having great difficulties with Romanian blanks (grey ones) with the red tip, designated for MG. When fired, they extract with great difficulties (i must use a leg to open the bolt ) or they do not extract at all. Do you gentlemen think is an powder issue. Are they too strong? They are fire formed allright but they split.

Is maybe an option to make blanks from original 8x56R brass an then crimp them? Is it expensive to do that?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think that most 7.62x54R blanks are loaded "hotter" than they need to be, leading to the split necks and extraction problems. I believe the Romanian blanks are steel cased--I would not use them in an M95. Privi Partisan in Serbia makes new 8x56R brass, but I don't know how difficult/expensive it would be to crimp your own blanks.

-Devo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes, Romanian blanks are hotter than Czech (copper plated). I've noticed. Prvi Partizan Užice (PPU) has brass, but its pretty expencive (i believe cca. 80Euro for 100), the powder would be cca. 50E, primers cca. 50E ( per 1000), work not taken into account) i believe around 1Euro per round. What type of ammo do you use on your reenactments?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been using Atlantic Wall full-length 8x56R blanks, which they load using PPU 7.62x54R brass; cost is about US$0.55/round (plus shipping). Currently, they are having trouble getting brass, due to the current high demand for live 7.62x54R rounds. Here is their website: http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/

-Devo

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just finished my first blank 8X56R made from original 8x56R PPU brass ( boxer primed) and with use of very simple homemade blank crimping die, which worked perfectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts