Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and to older military rifles. I just bought a M95 Steyr carbine and this ammo for it. Is this ammo corrosive, being from 1938 I assume.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Looks like I'm going to have to get some kind of pad for my shoulder and use hearing protection to shoot it, and clean the gun very well after shooting.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have 2 recoil shields a PAST and a Filson they are very good You can shoot all day with no pain. Dont go shooting with out them.

·
Copper Bullet member
8,999 Posts
Well, your #2 and #3 items are absolute MUSTs for all shooting.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well, I went to the local Academy store and got a Past Magnum + recoil shield. With my $10 off coupon it was only $16 inc. tax. Not bad! :)
Thanks 1Eye for telling me about those.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I got five more boxes of the Nazi marked ammo today, I can't afford to buy all he has, two big wooden crates full, must be hundreds of these packs! If any of you need some of these, $8 a box, PM me and I will give you his contact info. He is a FFL dealer out here in West Texas.
Heck, I saw just the two Nazi marked clips on GB for $8.95 a pair, no ammo!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I have quite a few of the Nazi marked. Don't shoot my M95 much anymore so prolly don't need any.....yet. Crap....I have about 21 DIFFERENT calibers to shoot. HehHeh

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,360 Posts
I reload that brass even though its berdan it is excellent quality and non corrosive with new primers

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Graf&Sons has brass for thr 8X56. I got some and now I keep the old nazi stuff.
If you reload you can down load the powder to cut down on recoil.
I do shoot some that I got from SOG it has know nazi markings.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Received Shovel. Reply sent.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Hungarian wartime steel case ammo

I just got my hands on two old blue Interarms boxes with 50 rounds each, Hungarian wartime ammo with grey steel cases mostly from 1943, but also from 1942 and 1944. Condition of the rounds was very good, with the faintest brown spots sometimes speckled on the cases. The test rifle was a Hungarian M 1935, which I already knew to be very accurate in spite of its somewhat "frosted" (= pitted) bore.

1. All rounds were surefire, no ignition delay. Extraction was mostly okay, but with three of 15 cases, the sticky bolt had to be hammered back.

2. Recoil of the Hungarian 1943 was significantly milder than the 1937 Austrian brass case surplus. 1944 steel case was more or less the same.

3. Accuracy of the Hungarian ammo in this rifle was utilitarian; whereas Austrian 1937 was supreme, better even than best Swedish 6,5x55. More details later.

Okay here are some details from the range visit now. Target used was the usual ISSF bullseye.

At 50 metres, five shots of 1943 Hungarian steel case grouped 4" width and 0.6" (zero point six) height. Don't ask me what I did, I don't know...

At 50 metres again, five shots of I/1937 Austrian brass case grouped 0.75" x 0.6" (width / height).

At 100 metres (around 110 yards) as last try, a Hungarian steel case mix of three 1943 and two 1944 rounds grouped 2.75" width and 3.5" height.

The last 50 metres group were 5 shots of 1944 Hungarian steel case: 1.1" width and 2.75" height.

Carcano

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,360 Posts
I have a limbsaver recoil pad i put on my m95s and can shoot all day with the nazi ammo
with no problem.Keep your eyes on the trader there is/was a 140 rds for 70 bucks on the trader board dont know if its still there though i got 160 rds nazi on clips in boxes for 80 shipped last week on the trader

1 - 18 of 18 Posts