560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Author Topic
Prez1981
Gunboards.Com Silver Star Member

USA
871 Posts
Posted - 01/28/2004 : 5:11:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted on this strange Steyr M95 a while ago and have found out some more information about it. This one is the non-import, non-rework with serial number 5282A. The barrel is not dated or numbered and has a strange proof marking only. No other parts are serial numbered, but most were made by Steyr while the receiver was made by Budapest. There are also no A-H eagle firing proofs on the side of the receiver or barrel. Stock is the early stutzen configuration with sling swivels on the bottom only (not a cut down rifle). The piece has the carbine style rear sight and banded front sight typically found on the long rifles/and those cut to carbine/stutzen length. Now I thought this was in 8X50R, but I found out today that I was wrong. The conjecture was that this was possibly a commercially produced piece and I think that may be the case.
THE CALIBER IS UNDOUBTEDLY 8X52R!!!! This was the earlier cartridge and typical(?) of those M88's and M88/90's sold commmercially, no? Has anyone else come across an M95 stutzen in 8X52R?

Krag
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

3553 Posts
Posted - 01/29/2004 : 07:17:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prez - according to Austrian cartridge expert Josef Motz, ALL Mannlicher straight pull rifles were produced with very generous chamber throats. Some specialty 8mm ammunition produced during WW1 had cases as long as 56mm and they could still be chambered and fired in M.88/90 and, M.90 and M.95 weapons.

"Use up all your ammo and have fun."

Starship Troopers
Robert Heinlein

DocAV
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

Australia
3278 Posts
Posted - 02/01/2004 : 09:59:27 AM

The M88, M88/90 cartridges for the Steyr straightpulls were of varying lengths, from a nominal 8x50R to about 8x53R; The M1893 case was standardised on 50mm length, although as Krag mentioned above, the throats of the Steyr chambers were very generous.

As the cartridge (M88) was originally a Black Powder or a "semi-smokeless" powder cartridge (nitrated lignin mixed with guncotton), the longer neck was thought useful. By the 1893 design, the Smokeless powders had been improved, and it was found that the extra 2 or 3 mm was not necessary.
BTW, Commercially, the "8x50R" is also called the 8,2x52R in Central Europe (and not to be confused with the Finnish 8,2x53R, a wildcat on the Russian 7,62x54R Case).

Regards, Doc AV

1 - 1 of 1 Posts